• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REGRADE posted by Eagles-R-it

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

GOOD, BAD OR INDIFFERENT?

Has anyone sent back coins for regarding that they just plain felt the coins were better than what was given them? How was your experience? If two graders look at each and every coin that is graded and encapsulated, has any been re-graded down or up, depending on what the second grader felt? If so, how would one know, or are they looked at so fast, they are just signed off that that is what the grade is? If you have them re-graded, and they come back the same as you sent in, is there an explanation why? Is the serial # changed if they do indeed give a higher grade? Are they opened from the holder and re-looked at or not? I maybe should not have brought this up at all, but I received 2 back, and I just don't agree with the grade. Experiences anyone????

Hope I don't get kicked off this site because of my inquiry.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

If you were to get kicked off this site for your inquiry then I think a lot of people would leave this place.

Great question btw. I think 3 graders plus a finalizer look at each coin but how long they spend on each coin is the real question.

If your coin has the potential to be worth tons more by getting a higher grade then it may be worth it to resubmit it. Take for example a 1981 T2 5c in PF69UC is a very common grade for that year. If you feel it is a PF70UC then it would be worth it to take the chance because in a 70 that coin can be worth thousands. Under $20 for the PF69UC and at least $2,000 for the PF70UC.

Now the question is, would it be better to crack it out or to leave it in the holder? :banana:

I would say if NGC graded it the first time --- the second time would be the same grade. Unless toning has started --- Then the grade might get lowered.

If it is a high dollar coin -- send it to CAC. Then if you get a GOLD bean ---- it is worthy of an upgrade. Green bean --- will get the coin top dollar for the grade later on. :)

I have done it once. A 1/2 real from Mexico 1824. I actually got XF-D for some contact marks and the details were "damaged" I sent them back and plainly said that I have seen AU coins with more contact marks than this one. I got it back XF-40. Was it worth the extra 40 bucks? Yes, the coin is rare enough above F (at best) that I think it was a good idea. I have another one with "hairlines" that I think will resend because not even at 10x I can see them. That said I will do that only because that is a 1000 coin. For a 25 dollar coin likely not. That said I have never submitted for a higher numeric grade.

I sent two coins back for regrade and got bumped from VG10 to VF 20 and VG35 to XF 40. Despite the wear, these were legitimately rare 8 reales coins and the upgrades put them into the value range at which I paid for them.

Did it irritate me that I had to pay twice to get the grade they should have had -- you bet it did. Frankly, I think NGC should reimburse me for their graders lack of attention.

Good luck, YMMV,

~jack

154540.jpg.e450c699fd1744db8e090eec984b302b.jpg

But that would be an incentive not to do it. Nice coins jgenn!

Yep! That is the truth. Just pay the money and be happy. Those are nice coins regardless of the holder. You have great taste Jack.