• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought it was a typo! posted by stevek426

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I thought it was a typo!

Just got the results of my two 2014 Kennedy anniversary sets. At first I thought it was a typo, so I punched in the certification number and it wasn't. A reverse proof 65. That's bad cheese.

Certification No 2654471-008 for anyone that wants to check it out.

16416.tiff

See more journals by stevek426

That's the problem with having to send sealed packages from the Mint to qualify for special labels - if you could check the coin out before submitting it, you could immediately return an obviously defective coin for replacement. Now, you have paid for grading, possibly paid for a special label and paid for shipping to and from Sarasota, and you have to crack open a slab and re-assemble a Mint package to try to get a replacement.

I stopped buying from the mint. Too many junk coins and some proof sets had fingerprints. I buy graded coins, and let the dealers go through all the nonsense. It costs way too much to try and get a good collection by sending in your own coins.

sig.jpg

It's for That specific result that I don't send in sealed sets anymore- 'The disappointment of it all!' Except for the 2006 - 20th and the 2011 - 25th Anniv. Sets, the rest of my year 2000+ stuff came from dealers & Ebay.

Factoring in the markup in buying a 'certified' set, wheather on a Pre-Sale, or a month or so after coins are issued, a '69' set is usually just a few bucks over the raw coin or set price, and the '70s' at a reasonable markup. As long as you get them from a repurable dealer- they will generally carry about the same price at their web-site or their Ebay Store. (ie: CRC; PINEHURST; MODERN COIN MART). Much quicker and more satisfying than the pain of getting from the Mint on time to get a "1st or Early Release" label, then packing and paying all that cash for shpg & Insurance!

Then again, I may pickup a special set from the Mint just to have it socked away! One never knows what the future markets hold in store.