• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CONFIRMED 1919-P Mercury DDO Discovery!!!

156 posts in this topic

"Will eventually go in for slabbing."

That's the same thing they do with shad -- or is that "planking"

FYI - we're up to 10 now:

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam)

2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson

3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich

4) ANACS EF-40 > PCGS XF-40 - small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > Great Collections

5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15 - No further details yet.

9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums.

10) Good - Natchez14 (NGC Message Boards)

Edited by StrikeOutXXX

The ANACS XF-40 example is now graded PCGS XF-40 and is being auctioned by our firm.

Regards,

- Ian

Thanks Ian, I contacted Leo who said he didn't cross it, wasn't aware it changed hands, at least that mystery was solved.

There have been a few sales already of these, with strong prices, albeit dealer to dealer or discoverer to dealer. I'd be real curious what it goes for in a "True Auction" - Best of luck!

Edited by StrikeOutXXX

Thanks for the update ianrussell. I was the original owner of that ANACS EF-40 and sold it to Leo. I will be very anxious to follow the auction over at your firm. Do you know when it might be scheduled to be put up?

I imagine the consignor might be inclined to protect themselves by starting the auction with a very high opening bid. I hope I'm wrong but can certainly understand if I am right. I know of quite a few people, including myself, that would participate if it started at $1 but will also likely just sit it out completely if there is a high opening bid for it. I'm a bit surprised at the timing of it though. Demand would likely be higher if the consignor waited until it made it into the Red Book, next Cherrypickers' Guide due out in the first half of 2016 and then also a requirement in the TPG Variety Registry sets....but of course it could also be said that the pops will have grown by then, lowering the value? In any case, it will be interesting to watch.

I imagine the consignor might be inclined to protect themselves by starting the auction with a very high opening bid. I hope I'm wrong but can certainly understand if I am right. I know of quite a few people, including myself, that would participate if it started at $1 but will also likely just sit it out completely if there is a high opening bid for it. I'm a bit surprised at the timing of it though. Demand would likely be higher if the consignor waited until it made it into the Red Book, next Cherrypickers' Guide due out in the first half of 2016 and then also a requirement in the TPG Variety Registry sets....but of course it could also be said that the pops will have grown by then, lowering the value? In any case, it will be interesting to watch.

The coin is being sold unreserved. We are setting the date in the next day or two.

Keyman: we are expecting your aggressive participation from your post.

- Ian

The coin is being sold unreserved. We are setting the date in the next day or two.

- Ian

I said participate, nothing about aggressive participation.

laughing.gif

Aren't all coins at GC sold unreserved? The start price is an entirely different matter, right? Will you have the coin at FUN?

(thumbs u

Edited by KeyMan64

- Ian

laughing.gif

Aren't all coins at GC sold unreserved? The start price is an entirely different matter, right? Will you have the coin at FUN?

(thumbs u

Good question Keyman. We start the bidding at whatever the reserve is - so if something starts at $1, that is the reserve - and that is what I refer to being unreserved (coins that start at $1 in our auctions).

If the bidding starts at $1000. That means the reserve is $1000 and so forth.

In the case of this 1919 Dime, it is being sold unreserved (and bidding will start at $1).

See you at FUN!

- Ian

Edited by ianrussell

- Ian

laughing.gif

(thumbs u

Good question Keyman. We start the bidding at whatever the reserve is - so if something starts at $1, that is the reserve - and that is what I refer to being unreserved (coins that start at $1 in our auctions).

If the bidding starts at $1000. That means the reserve is $1000 and so forth.

In the case of this 1919 Dime, it is being sold unreserved (and bidding will start at $1).

See you at FUN!

- Ian

Wow, thank you for the clarification. My hat's off to the consignor. That's pretty big. Looking forward to seeing you at FUN. Woooohooooooo!

Heck...I'll bid full melt, even though it's worn to a nubbin !
Maybe you shouldn't blow your entire bank account all at once? Let the big dogs like me handle this one and bid it all the way up to $5 or so.

laughing.gif

Why wait when you can get the original today. It's now on the bay BIN $11,550.

Go Go Go!

In my completely objective (cough) opinion this will be looked at as a screaming bargain in the not too distant future! :)

Why wait when you can get the original today. It's now on the bay BIN $11,550.

Go Go Go!

In my completely objective (cough) opinion this will be looked at as a screaming bargain in the not too distant future! :)

I no longer own the Discovery Coin they now have listed in the eBay auction you linked.

I hope they do well with it.

2 others had been on eBay (Listed at $9,999 (the XF-40) and $7,999 (the VG-8)) and ended up selling privately off of eBay.

Still kind of excited to see what the XF-40 will do at Great Collections.

Haven't updated this in awhile, but a few more have showed up in pop reports and think 3 are on eBay right now. Pretty sure I have no duplicates thus far as I have pics of them all except the one shown to Rick Snow, will probably be harder to keep a census pretty soon as more come out of the woodwork, but we're up to 14 known (to me).

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese

2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson

3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich

4) ANACS EF-40 > PCGS XF-40 - small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > Great Collections ($9,075)

5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15

9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums

10) Good - 90% merc bag find - Natchez14 - (NGC Message Boards)

11) VG - 3/18/16 auction listed on eBay raw - owner unknown (seller: flcoins - $2,250)

12) PCGS - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: cbcoins03)

13) NGC - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: boyernumismatics)

14) PCGS - GENUINE EdgeDmg - F Details > (eBay seller: fresebrothers)

15) GET TO CHERRYPICKING