• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 D copper planchet ? I might have the only 3rd one in the world!!
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I need some information or help from you guys, I just got a hold of a 1983 D penny (USA)copper planchet I believe

I was reading up on it , it could be possible a copper alloy coin Coming from Denver mint.

I'm sure you are familiar with the one that only has been found. I had my coin Weighed at the jewelry store ,,it does way 2.8g

Now I know that the coin is supposed to weigh 3.1g

The Ken Potter book strike it rich with pocket change ,,is the book I got this information from

The Corning is a little worn out not bad but could that have lost the weight could this be the real thing? I need some opinions thank you

1 other thing if u drop this coin on a table it does not have No like high pitch ding

It's like dull sound with No ding in it

That's another reason y I think it might be real

IF SO $15,000 or higher coin

Edited by Error coin colctr ( 2 minutes 19 seconds ago)

Edit Reason: About the sound of coin

Weight on a regular penny is 2.5 grams and this one is 2.8 g almost 3.1

My local coin man said some weight could have worn off

Plus this coins sound when dropped nothing like any other 1983 penny

So "weight and sound " I think it COULD be real.

That's the only reason ,because the book experts said ,u can only tell by the weight and it is over 2.5g

Just a wish,hope and prayer

Your scale may not be precise enough to get an accurate weight. 2.8 grams doesn't really fit for either composition.

Weigh some current cents that you know are copper plated zinc, and if you get around 2.8 grams you know your scale is off.

Would probably be a good idea to weigh a few common 1981 or earlier cents that you know are mostly copper and see what they show as well.

It might be a cracked planchet. I'm not sure what a cracked and thick zinc planchet would look like after being copper plated.

Good luck with it. A picture probably wouldn't settle it but it couldn't hurt.

If you dropped it and got a dull sound with no ring to it, then you have a zinc Lincoln. :(

Yeah really easy to tell the difference between copper and zinc. I wouldn't drop it however, because that would cause damage. But just do the flip trick.

Flip the coin off your thumb into the air. If there is a high pitch ringing sound, it's copper. No sound, it's zinc.

Try this on coins that you know are definitely copper and zinc first to hear the difference.

Flip it into the air. If it rings, it's copper (try with a <= 1981 cent to compare). If it doesn't, it's zinc. Weight of a bronze cent should be 3.11 grams. In order to be less than 3 grams, it would have to be worn down to VG or so if bronze. For a copper cent to weigh in at 2.8 grams, it would have to be very heavily worn.

CaptHenway's suggestion to confirm the accuracy of the scale is best, and if the scale does check out then, at the risk of sounding like a broken record (How long will it be before no one understands that reference?) a specific gravity test will tell you conclusively if it is copper or zinc.

Thanks everybody

So what's funny is I have 2 1983 D penny's and the other penny I have has a real hig pitch sound in it

So I put that one aside because it sounded like the 1981 and it didnt click in my head until messy desk siad about the others like 1981 being copper DUH

SORRY IM A ERROR COIN LOOKER

I just so happen to be looking thru Ken Potters book strike it rich with pocket change ,when I was examining these coins I got from the bank and just so happen to drop the coin I was examining and sounded weird, then I found another one with brighter colors and compared the pitch sound together and the other one was a lot higher

So I guess I will go by me a gram scale tomorrow and make sure

I took the these coins to be weighed a a jeweler

So wish me Luck

On 12/24/2014 at 5:02 PM, Error coin collec-migratio said:

Weight on a regular penny is 2.5 grams and this one is 2.8 g almost 3.1

My local coin man said some weight could have worn off

Plus this coins sound when dropped nothing like any other 1983 penny

So "weight and sound " I think it COULD be real.

That's the only reason ,because the book experts said ,u can only tell by the weight and it is over 2.5g

Just a wish,hope and prayer

20200715_133500.jpg

21 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Looks like a 1982 Large Date to me. Where do you see 1983?

Details, details. What's a little fudge factor of only a year and some large numerals, right? :screwy:

Hey, Error Coin guy!  I haven't gotten any sleep over the past 5-1/2 years agonizing over this.  How about an update?  Enquiring minds want to know IF you get my drift...