• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THEIVES ARE OUT THERE. posted by Eagles-R-it

14 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

DON'T LET IT BE YOU

Well it finally happened. I had a order from the US Mint coming and I checked the tracker and it showed "delivered". That's fine except for one thing. My regular mail was there and NO package. Got with the Post Office and the carrier insists he put a package in my mailbox at the time noted on the tracker. Got with FedEx as it was shipped Smart post, but nothing I could do, neither one of them seemed interested in helping. Contacted the US Mint and they said I had to fill out a form, which I did, and they said it would take 4-6 weeks to find out the answer.

Has anyone had to deal with such runaround with the PO and FedEx? What happens with the US Mints form I filled out? Refund, or sorry Charlie you just have to eat this one.

It would be interesting to hear anyone else who has had packages disappear.

I ordered a mailbox alert system, I will let you all know how good/bad it is after I get it installed.

Thanks for reading, and I'll leave a light on for ya.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

My issue is the opposite direction. I sent 3 of the 50th anniversary Kennedy sets I purchased back to the mint due to quality a month ago. USPS tracking says delivered, however they claim they have not received it. The Mint is supposedly looking into it after 3 calls and an 2 emails, but I doubt anything will come of it. They said it could take 2-3 weeks and still might need more info/time. I just put in a claim with USPS for the insurance I took out on the package, but since it was "delivered" I have a feeling they will tell me too bad as well because they didn't "lose" it, the receiver did.

Anyway, hope we both get a resolution that will correct the problem and us not hearing a too bad from the other end.

I had an order from the US Mint that never showed up. Tracking # showed in transit, for more than two weeks. I ran into the same deal with FedEx smart post so I downloaded the form from the mint, filled it out and faxed it back. They give you an option of refund or replace. They replaced my order delivered USPS in less than two weeks. Hope all works out as well.

Yes I had the same happen to me, not from the mint but Heritage Auction. It was comics not coins, I never received any satisfaction. The only thing I could do was put the purchase in my registry and maybe some will try to register it. Good luck and maybe you will be refunded

Richard,

It's never good to hear about lost or damaged packages!!

I have used USPS services for the past 5 years. As I purchase and sell VERY MANY coins in this club each year, I have not had a problem as of yet. I have done well over 100 sales this year. Always priority, insured (signature needed), and tracking. Never a problem with a nice blue insurance sticker on the package. (Knock On Wood!! :grin: )

BTW--- Your package you are getting from me next week might be a little different than you expect. The coin count is correct BUT--- I was not happy with one coin so I am sending a $40 refund for it and the Silver Comm. coin I was not happy with is yours free! :)

Thanks Bud-----Rick

Yes I had the same happen to me, not from the mint but Heritage Auction. It was comics not coins, I never received any satisfaction. The only thing I could do was put the purchase in my registry and maybe some will try to register it. Good luck and maybe you will be refunded

Derryl,

That is a hard hit to read about!! I think if more dealers and auction houses added insurance there would be less problems like this.

I made a very LARGE purchase last month from a member here worth almost $10,000 FMV. I get home from work and the package is sitting in the mail box.

THAT'S INSANE!!!!!---- I won't mention the member ---- but he knows!!

What if it GOT LOST ???

Get your packages INSURED!!! It is worth the little extra. :)

Rick

Derryl,

That is a hard hit to read about!! I think if more dealers and auction houses added insurance there would be less problems like this.

I made a very LARGE purchase last month from a member here worth almost $10,000 FMV. I get home from work and the package is sitting in the mail box.

THAT'S INSANE!!!!!---- I won't mention the member ---- but he knows!!

What if it GOT LOST ???

Rick

Rick

You are correct. Since the package was marked delivered both agencies was satisfied.

We have a new problem to lookout for in the future. With this new finger signature how will they know who signed for the package. Even a handwriting expert won't be able to determine who signature it is.

Darryl

There's a lot of talk now since people are shopping online for so many things that the hot setup is to have your orders delivered at work (if you can). Mailboxes contain a lot more than bills and junk mail now a days.

Rick

If I were a postal thief, I would be directing my focus on only insured packages. Stands to reason that they would more than likely be the more valuable packages, would they not?

Rob--my insured packages stay at the post office and I get a noptice to come sign for them and pick them up----there also is a USPS app you may now download and opt into here in the DC area which shows a text on my i-phone whenever the post office has received a package for me ( this allows for me to simply stop inh on the way home.

PS: as to the original post--I hate hearing this. A recent rash of mail thefts have been reported in our local paper. Since it is rural mostly here toward the bay southeast of the city, many mailboxes on the roadside can't even be seen from a person's house....the thieves have mostly targeted outgoing mail when the "flag" is up on the box--but also some incoming mail. Packages are usually driven up the driveways and dropped on the porch.....

Rick

If I were a postal thief, I would be directing my focus on only insured packages. Stands to reason that they would more than likely be the more valuable packages, would they not?

Bill,

In order to lose a blue sticker insured package it would have to be stolen by a postal worker. Now I am not saying that all postal workers are trustworthy BUT I sure trust them much more than all the CRAZY people that drive past my mailbox every day!! :)

I've had a very scary delivery issue earlier this year with a USPS Registered package but fortunately the coins were eventually received. Whenever I know that a coin shipment is on the way I follow it on USPS tracking so that I can be waiting at the door for the mailman. Unfortunately that doesn't always work even for USPI Registered packages which supposedly provide the ultimate in security. A couple of months ago I was waiting for a large shipment of coins that was being sent via registered mail from NGC. Tracking showed that it was out for delivery from my local post office but the package did not arrive with the morning mail. Later that afternoon USPI tracking showed that the package was DELIVERED and an illegible signature showed in the electronic signed for box. I immediately called the Postal Police at the nearest Federal Building and they blew me off referring me to my local postmaster. When I complained to my local Postmaster he checked with the substitute mailman on my route who told him that someone standing in my front yard signed for the package however be couldn't describe the person and admitted that he had not asked for a ID.. Well it wasn't me or my wife that signed for the package so obviously it was either an unauthorized person or the mailman himself that signed for the package. Neither the Postmaster or the Postal Police seemed very concerned that a Federal Crime had been committed. Fortunately later that day I found the missing package in the bushes a few feet from my front door. The package was soaking wet from being out in the rain but the slabs inside were dry and undamaged thanks to NGC's excellent packaging. I never found out for sure what happed to my package but I suspect that the substitute mailman on my route signed for the package himself and left in on my porch where neighborhood children found it and threw it into the bushes. A very scary experience since the coins in this shipment were all RARE NGC Top Pop US Philippine coins that could not be replaced with the insurance money. Probably unrelated but the next time that I went into my post office I learned that our local Postmaster had been replaced.