• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Finalized/Imaged/Shipped" posted by CBC

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Latest round of (mostly favorable) results

The status of my two recent submissions changed to "Finalized/Imaged/Shipped" today. My previous results have been mixed (most of us can probably say the same) - some grades as expected, some higher, some lower, and a few purple labels or, years ago, "body bags".

I submitted four GSA Morgans with my "free" Collectors Society coupon. I didn't have a fifth GSA so that slot went to waste.

The first coin was a 1880-CC Reverse of 1878 I bought recently. Like most GSA's this one had bag marks and I was expecting it to grade MS-62 or so, and hit it exactly.

The scond one was a 1882-CC I bought about a year ago on eBay. The eBay photos were terrible but the coin looked pretty good and the final price was low. It looked much better upon arrival, and I guessed MS-64 or better. Surprise - MS-65+!!!

The third one was a 1883-CC I bought over 20 years ago while on a business trip in Reno. I looked through about 40 CC Morgans in a coin shop there and picked out one that looked Proof-Like. NGC agreed with a grade of MS-63 PL.

The fourth one, another 1883-CC, came from a local estate sale a few years ago, and as expected got a MS-62 grade.

So, three of my guesses were on target and a pkeasant surprise on the fourth.

I also submitted three Walking Liberty halves for variety attribution. All three were purchased recently in NGC slabs without the varieties noted.

First, a 1939-D DDO FS-101, graded MS-65. Current population of two, one MS-65 and one MS-62

Second, a 1942-S Small S, MS-64. Only three graded, but not because of rarity - it's one of the slots in the "Walking Liberty With Varieties" set.

Finally, a 1944-S/S FS-502 in MS-64. So far, the only one of is variety graded at NGC.

16157.jpg

See more journals by CBC

Thanks! Unattributed Walker varieties are out there but it takes a lot of searching to find them. I must have looked at thousands of ebay listings - most of the photos are so bad it's impossible to identify varieties - but occasionally one can be found. I've picked up a couple of varieties from Heritage also, better photos but not as many to search through. The 1944-S/S came from a local coin show.

I have a couple of other neat varieties (1936-D DDO, 1944 Hand Cut AW,) in PCGS slabs, but NGC doesn't attribute them. I might eventually send them to PCGS for variety attribution but it's much more expensive than NGC.