• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Light Finish ATB 5 oz coins missing from set competition?

12 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Good Day, CCFFG.

A handful of these Light Finish varieties have only a few examples known, and we did not think it would be fair to make them a requirement for every participant. Thanks for your interest in NGC.

Your answer is makes little sense. This change near the end of this years competition is unwarranted. Either remove all the light finishes or leave them all in. One light finish (Gettysburg) has only examples graded by PCGS. The others (Hot Springs, Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone) have significant numbers for a meaningful competition. Of course, the numbers available at the top grades are very limited.

The issue of inclusion of varieties in the competitive sets is becoming very muddled. The varieties are not included in the Proof Platinum Eagle series (2007 Frosted Freedom).

Scott suggested to me that there may be a set competition with and without the varieties for the APE proofs.

I suggest the MANAGEMENT at NGC make some sensible decisions.

I recommend that the competition for the APE (and associated sets) both have sets that include and do not include the varieties. I recommend the same approach for the ATB 5 oz SPs and associated sets. (This is a lot of work before Dec 4 !!!!)

• Administrator

Hello, CCFFG.

We've included the Light Finish Grand Canyon for nearly four years, and there are enough examples certified by NGC to justify including it. The other slots were added only recently (and were quickly removed,) and they have only limited populations; in fact, some are not even recognized by NGC.

I again is disagree. The slots for Light Finish Hot Springs and Yellowstone were in the competition last year. Please check your facts before responding and I believe you will find they WERE NOT quickly removed. I think you have ruined the competition for the ATBs by this recent move. The top grade Grand Canyons will determine the 1st place. There are few available. The availability of top grade Hot Springs and Yellowstones are also very limited. The Gettysburgs have none graded by NGC and are very limited.

How hard would it be to poll the contestants in this competition to see what they thought of your changes FROM LAST YEARS competition?

PS I do not have the Yellowstone Light finish or the Gettysburg. The light finishes I posses are of low grade (SP 65 and 66) so I will not benefit from this change.

I checked the available data:

Coin NGC top/total PCGS top/total Both Total/Top

Hot Springs 2/18 1/42 3/60

Grand Canyon 8/391 1/85 9/476

Yellowstone 2/18 none 2/18

Gettysburg none 2/16 2/16

There is a very small set of Top grades available. But, to select the one coin that has 9 available over the 2,2 and 3 seems rather arbitrary.

I hope this is helpful.

Of course Scott lists only the Grand Canyon Light Finish in his book (3rd edition). Again an arbitrary decision that I suspect will be corrected in future versions.

My collection was in first place jrcoins2210 until NGC removed my hot springs light finish and my Yellowstone light finish but left the grand canyon. All coins were graded by NGC.That moved my collection from 1st. place to 3rd. place. this insures that only 8 NGC certified sp70 grand canyon coins holders will be eligible for 1st place. Who ever is awarded 1st place in the 2010 SP ATB 5oz. has not earned it fairly. All light finish coins should be allowed or none of them should be allowed. Just saying

When the 2010 ATB's closed the first year the only light finish coin

In the set was the Grand Canyon. The hot springs and Yellstone were

added some time after the competation closed. Now is that fair? I believe

What was done was fair. More people will try to finish this set or get into

it.

please get your facts straight, the Hot Springs and the Yellowstone were added only after they were discovered and graded. Then NGC removed them. Likely because previous 1st place set owners cried because there sets now 2nd place sets. Just saying