• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Lady With a Question posted by DrDarryl

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

US Mint series uncovered after over 5 decades of being hidden...

I've been receiving many emails relating to family numismatic heirlooms as it relates to President Eisenhower appreciation medals. This is the most recent.

See the image for her question and my visual answer.

16012.jpg

See more journals by DrDarryl

Interesting even with the document being very hard to read.

Question: Where did you find factual data concerning mintage numbers? As I said, the correspondence was hard for me to read, yet I don't think it mentioned mintage figures.

I'll repost post indiviual images separately (full size). DDE-03 has a mintage of 1,600. Number is based on official White House memo available from Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library.

The 17 medals of this US Mint series were White House initiated. That is, the US Mint was collaborating with the White House in the design. Numbers struck was set by the White House. Struck medals we delivered to the White House. The White House also paid for its cost (material and labor). In effect, it was contracted effort that was performed. Medals are US Mint made, but not listed in public records as they were not sold to the public. It is also different from foreign nation coinage struck at the US Mints as no other government approval was required.

This was a very coordinated effort to create the 17 medal series. I suspect the only one at this magnitude the White House ever undertook. President Kennedy had only 1 appreciation medal created. I have not seen any other President withe an appreciation medal.

Lastly, the DDE -03 mintage is high. But you have to account for the distribution of this medal to Eisenhower's 11 country visits. Most were most likely melted in the 11 countries. Also, the medal series has been undocumented for over 5 decades. One of the images explains the significance of the medals for the 11 country visits.

I recommend you buy my book. Otherwise, you can pay triple the cost for the official file from the Eisenhower Presidential Library. Copying and librarian services adds up.

The book referenced by fmtransmitter is my book:).

A writer at Numismatic News accepted an 800 word article I drafted earlier this month. I'm not sure of the publication date at this time.

I have not taken action to get major listing in established catalogs, but have been investigating it.

I'm to donate copies to the ANA Library. Also to the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library as they provided outstanding services that aided me in completing my research.

DDE-03 has a mintage of 1,600. Number is based on official White House memo available from Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library.

That answers my question right there. I am not directing any focus on DDE right now, however I am trying to find a little more information on Theodore Roosevelt and various medals and my attempts so far, through contacting the Theodore Roosevelt Association have not produced the results that I was hoping for so I will pursue a different avenue. Was just curious as to your sources.

Thanks