• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959 Lincoln with Wheat Reverse?

29 posts in this topic

I found this section on coppercoins.com. Was just wondering if true.

"Most guides tend not to list a rare variety from this year, a 1959 cent with a wheat reverse, because only one specimen is known to exist. This cent was found in Walnut Creek, California in 1986 by a person who had collected cents in jars for years. The cent was deemed genuine after microscopic examination by the Treasury Department, but inconclusive decisions were made regarding this coin by both the ANA and INS.The last known sale of this coin was for $22,000 in 1992."

I'm assuming this coin isn't slabbed?

Even though it's been sent twice to be authenticated by the treasury and secret service I guess the grading companies don't want to make a big screw up so they stay away.

Isn't this the coin that a noted counterfeiter claimed to have made? I don't recall his name and I don't recall the story. But I recall that there are questions about its authenticity.

Isn't this the coin that a noted counterfeiter claimed to have made? I don't recall his name and I don't recall the story. But I recall that there are questions about its authenticity.

That's the one. I believe the coin was going to be auctioned many years ago, but was withdrawn, due to continued questions regarding its authenticity.

That's the one. I believe the coin was going to be auctioned many years ago, but was withdrawn, due to continued questions regarding its authenticity.

The coin was pulled after convicted forger and

murderer Mark Hofmann claims responsibility for forging of the 1959 D

mule. Hofmann claimed to have made the coin using an electroplating

process. The coin was re-examined by Secret Service who found no merit

to the forger's claims. Eventually the coin sold for $45,000.

On May 31st 2010 in Los Angeles the coin sold for $31,050 by Ira & Larry Goldberg

I pulled it from this site

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/Controversial/Cents.html

There are two different coins involved. A 1959 no mint mark with a wheat reverse was sent to ANACS in the mid-1970's when it was still in Washington, D.C. The person who saw it at ANACS did not make the connection that it was the wrong reverse for the year and, thinking it was just another common coin (which they sometimes got) certified it as genuine without really looking it it.

The owner then sent it to Coin World's Collectors Clearinghouse where Ed Fleischmann and I examined it under a microscope and decided that it was, in our opinions, an altered date. We returned the coin and the certificate to the owner. I have not heard that it has surfaced recently.

The 1959-D with a wheat reverse is the more controversial piece. I have seen it, and on my gut instincts believe that it is not genuine. However, I cannot prove it, or say why I do not like it. The TPG's that have examined it have declined to certify or condemn it. The Secret Service did say that it was genuine, and on that basis it was sold in good faith at auction by the Goldbergs.

TD

There are two different coins involved. A 1959 no mint mark with a wheat reverse was sent to ANACS in the mid-1970's when it was still in Washington, D.C. The person who saw it at ANACS did not make the connection that it was the wrong reverse for the year and, thinking it was just another common coin (which they sometimes got) certified it as genuine without really looking it it.

The owner then sent it to Coin World's Collectors Clearinghouse where Ed Fleischmann and I examined it under a microscope and decided that it was, in our opinions, an altered date. We returned the coin and the certificate to the owner. I have not heard that it has surfaced recently.

The 1959-D with a wheat reverse is the more controversial piece. I have seen it, and on my gut instincts believe that it is not genuine. However, I cannot prove it, or say why I do not like it. The TPG's that have examined it have declined to certify or condemn it. The Secret Service did say that it was genuine, and on that basis it was sold in good faith at auction by the Goldbergs.

TD

Where did u get to see it at?

Here's the info from the Goldberg auction a few years ago:

http://goldbergcoins.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/3/lot/10563/

I remember seeing the coin and I didn't see anything that made me think it was an obvious fake. I also remember the coin was sold as-is w/ no guarantee of authenticity. It was clear at the time that the grading companies would not certify the coin as genuine.

TD

Where did u get to see it at?

I was at a show and the Goldberg's asked me for my opinion. They were sincerely doing due diligence on the piece.

TD

i heard two stories that anacs had slabbed it and then the one ( as stated above about the countifitor ) and the jury is still out on which one to believe.

ANACS never slabbed it. THis was long before slabbing started. It received a photo certificate, as was standard at the time.

"Even though it's been sent twice to be authenticated by the treasury and secret service I guess the grading companies don't want to make a big screw up so they stay away."

The Mint and Secret Service do not have an exemplary record of authenticating coins. I would be much more comfortable with PCGS or NGC's determination - which as been "no decision."

In my NARA files are documents from Philadelphia indicating the special effort was made to be sure no coins were accidentally made with the wrong reverse.....I might have posted one of these document here a year or two ago - but not sure.

Here's part of it: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=7412167&Searchpage=1&Main=328951&Words=Lincoln+Memorial+RWB&topic=0&Search=true#Post7412167

"Due to this change in the size of the blank and the unusual combination of this new coin, particular caution must be taken to insure that there can be no confusion on this striking as to the 1958 and the 1959 dates and the old reverse and the new reverse."

[Dec 8, 1958 Dir Brett to Phil Sprtnd]

Mules. Because some are real and some are not.

4 hours ago, Richneli said:

I inherited one and I'm trying to get it looked at. Would any grading companies take a look at it if submitted for evaluation?

I'm sure any service would be happy to look at it. You might want to post images of it here first. 

None have been authenticated, and there is little reason to suspect that any such mules exist.

...but if true, it could very well become the 2nd 'Discovery of a Lifetime'

I had read somewhere that Hoffman used a 10 ga. shotgun to make coin dies. He claimed it was a very dangerous way to make spurious coins but worked so well you could not tell they were not struck by the US Mints.

56 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

...but if true, it could very well become the 2nd 'Discovery of a Lifetime'

I had read somewhere that Hoffman used a 10 ga. shotgun to make coin dies. He claimed it was a very dangerous way to make spurious coins but worked so well you could not tell they were not struck by the US Mints.

I recall a Hoffman who was faking Mormon artifacts on some cable TV documentary.  If this is the same guy and he is associated with the coin, I wouldn't assume there is anything genuine about any coin associated with him.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/635153542/Tales-of-Hofmann-Forgeries-deceit-continue-to-intrigue-20-years-later.html

As for any discovery of a real 1959 wheat cent being the 2nd discovery of a lifetime, I presume you are referring to the recently certified fourth 1854-S half eagle.  If so, even a potential real coin isn't in the same league, though given the tendency of so many US collectors to grossly exaggerate the merits of a disproportionate number and percentage of US coins, it likely would be financially.

15 hours ago, World Colonial said:

I recall a Hoffman who was faking Mormon artifacts on some cable TV documentary.  If this is the same guy and he is associated with the coin, I wouldn't assume there is anything genuine about any coin associated with him.

Yes it's the same guy.

On 4/19/2018 at 4:15 PM, Richneli said:

Would any grading companies take a look at it if submitted for evaluation?

You pay the fee, they'll look at it.  How hard they will look I can't say.

I wonder, if a person did find one of these famous counterfeits, if it could still get slabbed with an infamous counterfeit label? Especially with all the controversy that went with it?