• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin hoard found in condemned shack

13 posts in this topic

interesting that the owner walked away from the hoard. I understand he/she was trying to dodge the code violation fines, but why didn't they take the hoard with them? We may never know...

He could have not known about them also. Down the road from me, there was a couple in the 1960's that put silver dollars in the wall to buy a new house.I am sure they had been saving for quite sometime. they were in their 70's in the mid sixties. they ripped out the wall, sold them, and paid cash for the house that is sitting there now.

"But amid all the trash, workers found an enormous load of treasure: 60 pounds of silver coins in pickle jars."

Sixty pounds of silver coins by my calculation assuming avoirdupois measurement is $19K at the most.

Hoarders usually hoard just junk.

What I find ridiculous about this story is that the house, purchased in 1991 for $39,900, was assessed $500K in fines over the years. It's a good reminder to us that the saying, "Your government at work." strengthens the fact that they just don't know when to quit.

Chris

From the picture the coins look like 20th century melt silver.

Given 861 halves, 1,016 quarters, 202 dimes and 3 (i'm assuming silver) nickels, current melt value is ~ $10,132.

interesting that the owner walked away from the hoard. I understand he/she was trying to dodge the code violation fines, but why didn't they take the hoard with them? We may never know...

The last occupant of the house may not have known they were there.

As far as the comment about the amount of fines versus the value of the house - the fines were probably intended to get the hoarder to clean up his property and to address the concerns of his neighbors. Not easy living next to a property like that. It does seem sad that the occupant was probably mentally ill and driving him off was the only solution.

Thanks for an interesting thread.

From the picture the coins look like 20th century melt silver.

Given 861 halves, 1,016 quarters, 202 dimes and 3 (i'm assuming silver) nickels, current melt value is ~ $10,132.

But marketed on the Coin Vault as the So. Florida Lamarr LoMax Lowe Coin Hoard, the leading numismatic catalog has them valued at over $30,396.00

The Triple LLL Coin Hoard will be a big hit.