• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy gold sales at ANA show canceled

23 posts in this topic

I just talked to a policeman walking up and down the sidewalk with a sign that sales of the gold Kennedys have been canceled for the rest of the show. Does this mean there will now only be 1500 of the ANA pedigreed coins.

I'll bite: Is that of any importance?

None as far as I'm concerned, but I'm sure that there will be some hucksters who will be ready to push this garbage and some lemmings who will be ready to dive over the cliff with the slabs firmly in their claws.

I don't want one these coins if it is mounted in a slab PERIOD. I want it in the mint package.

If the sales had not been cancelled there would have been 2500 ANA certified coins. Now there will be only 1500. Just food for thought.

If the sales had not been cancelled there would have been 2500 ANA certified coins. Now there will be only 1500. Just food for thought.

Neither number is actually low, given that all you are talking about is a label on a piece of plastic. And in this instance, it isn't even the grade where the difference between a 69 and 70 can't be differentiated by most collectors outside of the holder anyway.

Neither number is actually low, given that all you are talking about is a label on a piece of plastic. And in this instance, it isn't even the grade where the difference between a 69 and 70 can't be differentiated by most collectors outside of the holder anyway.

Agreed. Qualitatively, there is no difference between the pieces distributed at the ANA show and those that the Mint is accepting orders on for $1240 each.

I am of the understanding that PCGS does not require a receipt for the ANA label. Coins purchased at any of the other 3 locales can be shipped to Chicago and receive the coveted "ANA Chicago" label at the PCGS booth.

:P

I wonder if the policeman has his information right. Earlier today the mint said they were stopping the sale of the gold at theit regular retail outlets (Philadelphia and Denver mints and the DC kiosk) but that they were going to continue selling at the ANA.

It might also just be a ruse to prevent the long overnight line from forming outside the convention center.

We'll need a report from the bourse floor tomorrow about whether they are selling them or not.

"coveted" ? Really?

Oh yes. And with hundreds of people lining up and paying thousands of dollars for the label, the First Strike Kennedy's are next in line.

:D

One big advantage of waiting and snoozing on the Kennedy-half line for 12++ hours was you completely saved on hotel expenses, extremely high in that area. It was a sneaky way to do the show on a shoestring, even if all you got was the free wooden nickel of the CSNS.

Those coveted wooden "nickels" are worth a bundle in a plastic slab with a paper label.

This really is the stupidest thing to come through the numismatic community in years. I hope the flippers get roasted on this one.

The mint shares some blame here also. This thing was set up for the flippers, not the general public. Great way to forget who butters your bread.

From an email I received:

We have the newly released Kennedy 3/4 ounce proof gold coin straight from the ANA World's Fair of Money. This is the 1st Day Issue graded by NGC PF-70 Ultra Cameo. Only 500 were sold on the first day and sales at the show have now been discontinued. Don't miss this chance to own one of the first of these coins ever issued. The auction goes live August 12 at 11am Eastern. See the entire catalog at SilvertowneAuctions.com

Can you imagine a numismatist traveling to a major numismatic event, and instead of examining the wares of a thousand dealers, instead of viewing the exhibits displays and auctions, instead of enjoyably interacting with the numerous other attendees, you spent your whole time stuck in a miserable line? For a chance to buy a coin you could've ordered from home?

Can you imagine a numismatist traveling to a major numismatic event, and instead of examining the wares of a thousand dealers, instead of viewing the exhibits displays and auctions, instead of enjoyably interacting with the numerous other attendees, you spent your whole time stuck in a miserable line? For a chance to buy a coin you could've ordered from home?

Numismatic Nirvana!

:insane:

Conder,

I can vouch that the policeman was right. Word went out at the show that the last two days of this mess were cancelled. The first 3 days there were lines around the conference center. Apparently dealers were hiring people to wait overnite in the line (and they were) to get in buy, then flip the coins to the dealer at $100s to maybe even a $1000 profit. The police and the mint decided it was getting to dangerous - possibly up a to million in cash (certainly alot if not that much) sitting on the sidewalk with the overnighters and were concerned for their safety. Hence cancelled. It was a hoot to watch that line snake around the center on the outside, the corrral pens inside as they wait....

Best, HT

To the guy who paid over $98K for plastic, I wonder how much they'd pay me for my discarded milk jug? Not much difference from my perspective.

149212.jpg.d346cf53d3bd53e4f3ad08ded7a71975.jpg

This milk carton is worth nothing.... nada.... Unless of course it was made..or just filled with milk..... or what the heck...bought on the same day that this gold Kennedy went on sale. Then you have something.... Ok, fine, we can also include, as long as you drank ALL the milk all gone, emptying the jug on the same day the Kennedy coin went on sale.... Any of those things apply here? Can you get the 3PG to authenticate? in writing?