• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Every success gives you one chance to succeed;

12 posts in this topic

Once before and once after.

Doesn't that sound a little like.......

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Chris

Chris

Chris---This statement from you sounds JUST like my Grandpa----he would ALWAYS say this. I take after him in sooo many ways. He passed in 1992. I miss him so. He was strict but a GOOD, hard-working, family man.

He'd also say----"If you don't like my gate, then don't swing on it!!" lol He was very strong-willed.

The older that I get the more I see that he was RIGHT and the less tolerant I have become of immature, dishonest and negative people.

People have to earn my respect for me to give it back and it's simply amazing just WHO will turn on you.

Here's another (not from him but still relevant):

"Trust---it takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair."

Thanks for the chuckle and for the memories. :)

P.S.--My Grampa was born in 1919 and was 10 y/o when the Great Depression hit. He would certainly have been INTIMATELY familiar with the Walker Half. I wish that he was still around, so that I could talk to him and pick his brain about Walkers----he'd have been a wealth of info. I bet that he would have really liked my set, too, although I'm sure that he'd have likely been amazed and would have scolded me over the cost.

Quite possibly my favorite quote, is also about mistakes........

" Intelligence is learning from your mistakes.......Wisdom is learning from other people's mistakes."

The older I get the more I've learned to let this wise old quote guide me. Too bad I didn't live by this in my mis-spent youth, all of the travails that could have been avoided....

Chris

Chris---This statement from you sounds JUST like my Grandpa----he would ALWAYS say this. I take after him in sooo many ways. He passed in 1992. I miss him so. He was strict but a GOOD, hard-working, family man.

He'd also say----"If you don't like my gate, then don't swing on it!!" lol He was very strong-willed.

The older that I get the more I see that he was RIGHT and the less tolerant I have become of immature, dishonest and negative people.

People have to earn my respect for me to give it back and it's simply amazing just WHO will turn on you.

Here's another (not from him but still relevant):

"Trust---it takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair."

Thanks for the chuckle and for the memories. :)

P.S.--My Grampa was born in 1919 and was 10 y/o when the Great Depression hit. He would certainly have been INTIMATELY familiar with the Walker Half. I wish that he was still around, so that I could talk to him and pick his brain about Walkers----he'd have been a wealth of info. I bet that he would have really liked my set, too, although I'm sure that he'd have likely been amazed at the cost.

Now, you're making me feel old. My Dad was born in 1915.

Chris :preach:

Chris

Chris---This statement from you sounds JUST like my Grandpa----he would ALWAYS say this.

P.S.--My Grampa was born in 1919 and was 10 y/o when the Great Depression hit. He would certainly have been INTIMATELY familiar with the Walker Half. I wish that he was still around, so that I could talk to him and pick his brain about Walkers----he'd have been a wealth of info. I bet that he would have really liked my set, too, although I'm sure that he'd have likely been amazed at the cost.

Now, you're making me feel old. My Dad was born in 1915.

Chris :preach:

Don't feel bad----you could be my cool, coin-collecting uncle. :D

Ayeee I am starting to feel old. My Dad was born in 1917. I was born the year the Franklin half dollar was first minted. It really is not a very old coin to me. It might be interesting, name a family member that was born the year a coin was first minted.

There are two fundamental principles of the old English Common Law. These two rules can be expressed in 17 words: do all you have agreed to do and, do not encroach on other persons or their property. The first rule is the basis of contract law, and the second, the basis of tort law and some criminal law.

The golden rule if universally followed would lead to much better social conditions; Confucius said pretty much the same thing, don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself. Unfortunately rudeness and transgressive behavior is a reality of life, generally due to what happened recently or years ago. Those who have transgressed much have a lot of amends to make and evil to undue if possible. The value of mistakes to provide learning experiences is over-rated, people should not act if the risk of harm is significant to themselves or others.

My father was born in the last year of the buffalo nickel and the first year of the Jefferson.

I was born on the final year of silver coinage-the first year of the Kennedy half.

Every mistake gives you two chances to learn.

Please explain....

Sorta like learning to make a good decision and/or getting it right the SECOND time, b/c the first time was a mistake.

Every mistake gives you two chances to learn.

Please explain....

1) You learn what doesn't work

2) You get a second chance to learn what will