• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old flip coin Holders Damage?

3 posts in this topic

I just joined the society and in reading the information sent to me I have a question. They say that the old flip folders with the plastic window will cause damage to my coins. Twenty five years ago I put every one of my 300 coins each in a folder and sealed them with 4 staples. What am I to do now if they are not protected. The original flips were sold as a long term protection.

One of the biggest concerns about older flips is that some were made of PVC, which can interact with a coin's metal, creating a slightly acidic reaction and potential damage. From what I understand, copper coins are more vulnerable to PVC than anything else.

However, from your question it seems that you have the coins in cardboard flips, as you mentioned you used staples. From what I understand, most cardboard flips don't contain PVC and are usually made with mylar or some other kind of plastic. So, my guess it, your coins are probably safe from PVC damage.

But cardboard flips have their own problems. First, they're not airtight. And of course, oxygen and moisture can certainly damage a coin. Second, are the staples. When taking coins out of stapled cardboard flips, they can get scratched up. Personally, I do use cardboard flips with staples, but only for coins that are inexpensive coins.

Ultimately...and I'm sure NGC/PCGS would give me the thumbs up for this...but I really do think that having your coins slabbed in one of their holders is currently the best way to store coins. In 50 years, we'll probably have something else that's better. But for now, I do think the TPG slabs are the best.

Non-PVC coin flips on the left, cardboard on the right.

10rtu3d.jpg5le4hl.jpg