• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Long IKE, its Been Fun

8 posts in this topic

After a long and cordial run collecting Eisenhower Dollars, it is time for me to part ways to pursue other interests.

Several Years ago I started on a quest to complete a set of circulation grade Eisenhower Dollars. I set a goal for this set to have the best-graded coins I could afford after which I aggressively bought the coins necessary to complete the set.

Along the way, I discovered that high-grade non-silver MS-66 and 67 Eisenhower Dollars were scarce and focused on buying one MS-67 Eisenhower Dollar, the 1971-D, to represent the grade for the entire set. Even so, I found that I could still have a nice set made up of mostly MS-66 graded coins.

Nice coins were readily available in this 23-coin set and it didnt take me too long to complete it. Since completing the set though, I have made very few upgrades and the set has sat idle for a long time. With a complete set made up of the best coins I could afford there has been no place to expand the set or grow. In other words it is one of the few sets I had that I can say was complete.

Now there are sets I have completed that are among my numismatic favorites like my 20th Century Type Set which for all practical purposes is complete. However, this set represents my collecting passion for type coins. For my entire collecting life, my favorite area of numismatics has been type coins. Furthermore, I still occasionally upgrade the coins in that set.

My decision to liquidate my Eisenhower Dollar set does not mean that I dont like the series because I do. Moreover, I had fun putting the set together and I learned a lot about the series. The only problem is that I dont have a sustainable passion for the series as with my type coins and theme based custom sets that have an ever expanding and almost inexhaustible supply of different coins.

In summary, I am keeping those Eisenhower Dollars that fit into another of my sets like the MS-67, 1971-D that I previously mentioned. Therefore, for now I say so long IKE, its been fun. Thanks for the fun times we had together.

Gary

15411.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

Well, Gary, we all move on at times in our lives. Something that is fun and rewarding at an earlier time pales in comparison to our present interests. I know. I've been there. My biggest one was when I decided to retire from US coins aside from the occasional one off to focus all my collecting resources on my Ottoman and German collections. It doesn't mean that we dislike what we previously chased, just that we've moved on and grown in different directions. I think it happens to all of us in the many arenas we live our lives in.

Best of luck in all of your new ventures, and my they be every bit as rewarding as your Ike set, or hopefully even more so!!!

~Tom

I kinda likened this journal to breaking up with you'd high school sweetheart and going off to college.

I can relate to the story, good luck on future "relationships" with coins :)

Gary,

Sometimes it is just time to move on. Many of us have been in your shoes. While it is painful at times, it is also rewarding regarding where we go.

Best of luck in your pursuits as you liquidate this set. I for one will be watching closely to see what new adventure you take on. It is sure to be a sight to behold.

Michael

Great story on an old friend "Ike". Moving on is something that I understand well when it comes to coins. Seems I love variety and rotate my coins very often liquidating after a year or so and replacing with others for a while. I will be listing some $10 first spouse gold coins in a set today for liquidation as well. Have not had a Ike set now for a couple years since the set I had sold, a while back and was shipped to nunfaO in New Zealand.

Interested in a trade ??? HeHe :grin:

Gary, sorry to see your IKES go. Glad you are keeping the 71-D, that is the only higher graded coin I remember suggesting to someone to buy, made me feel a part of your set. Good luck, Jerry