• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Needed

13 posts in this topic

Last time about my 1879 mint set; almost complete.

I realize how easy it would be to criticize my pictures, the inability to judge a coin without having it in hand and a plethora of other points this post presents. But please try and provide an answer with just the information given as comments about whats lacking does not help me: nor is it constructive. If you feel you can't provide an opinion without negative comments in regards to the post, please refrain. As for the the coins themselves, be as negative as you deem necessary. You might want to give an opinion without even looking at the images due to the differences in quality of said pics. With that being said I would truly value the input of the CS members; the knowledge and expertise here is staggering. PM's, thread comments or emails are welcomed. I posed a similar question last year but have a chance to acquire this coin again.

Question: Of the following two coins which would you rather own; money NOT being a factor.

Coin #1: NGC MS-68* Star Top Pop 7/0 finer at NGC or

Coin #2: PCGS MS-67 CAC Pop 18/2 finer at PCGS

After Thought; Is having a complete mint set all graded by the same TPG important or is a mix match of the two major companies ok?

Thank you to all for your responses, arise and yes, criticism.

David

See more journals by #

145830.jpg.abaec1378ffe3a2810a8bd38a2acf054.jpg

145831.jpeg.2afc868ff939f0406a6efb7c91ed2687.jpeg

David,

Did they get the picture attachments issue fixed or did you do a workaround?

I would prefer the NGC * graded coin more than likely over the PCGS w/CAC.

CAC means absolutely nothing to me. The star, it seems more often than not, is indicative of a coin with a boatload of personality.

Reminds me of Samuel L. Jackson's and John Travolta's excellent dialogue exchange from the movie 'Pulp Fiction' when describing why a dog is liked more than a pig.

"You don't eat pig? What are you jewish?"

"A pig is a nasty animal. Pigs sleep and root in $%&!

"How bout a dog? A dog" ... well you know what a dog does.

"I don't eat dog either"

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?"

Yeah, but a dog has personality and personality will go a long way."

"So by your rationale, if a pig had a better personality then he would cease to be a filthy animal; is that true?"

Pause....

"Well he would have to be talking about one charming #$^&^ $$^&&* pig!"

.... I paraphrase. lol

edited because I was confused.

It all boils down to personal preference. I prefer NGC to PCGS for a number of reasons. I think this pic is excellent. Not the best I have ever seen but still far better than most pics in my collection.

CAC means less to me than the star does. Star graded coins in mint state can mean nicely toned or almost PL or even just an above average looking coin for the grade. All are good things.

TOP POPs are the way to go if you can. Please just do what makes you happy. But if I was spending your money I would go with the NGC STAR coin.

I believe having a nicely matched set of coins from the same grading company adds value to your set. Pictures no matter how bad are still preferable to no pictures.

When did the # (pound) become # (hash) I think I missed the boat on that one.

Pretty soon they will come up with a totally new word for the ^ (caret). Mark my words it is coming. just kidding :banana:

i would choose the NGC coin, hands down, no question.

matching set - i would try to build a set where the COINS match and complement eachother, regardless of what plastic they're in - similar grades, similar color/patina, nice original coins that look nice together.

Your Afterthought reply:

I would definitely go with the best coin for my set. There is no contest when it comes to a great strike and full luster. If it is raw, graded by NGC, PCGS or whoever. Slabs are temporary housings and can be changed but you will still have the great coin that is inside whoever's slab it is temporarily in at the time.

Don't forget the debate of going to a 100 point scale in the future. If and when this happens even if all your coins are in NGC slabs you will still need to send all of them in to be regraded no matter what slab they are in.

Pick the coin!!! Not the slab. :)

Rick

Well it 100% for the NGC 68*; so that settles that. Thank you all.

-wdrob, pic attachment fixed or workaround? I have no clue, I can't even tell you why one pic showed up and one was an attachment that had to be download.

-wells collection, # pound to # hashtag? Again I have no idea; I just wanted something easy to find and as I get older something easy to remember...1 character.

-yonico, well since we've only done a few deals and I don't rate high enough to be listed in your footer of successful deals except as a few others, I don't feel I need to respond lol. You KNOW you're my favorite buyer.

-jaa, with your best presented, best classic set awards I appreciate the input

-six mile rick, 100 point scale inthe future? I really hope that was a joke. I haven't heard about it. And I love the new Morgan I got for $0.03. Tell your son you can't win every time; even though you manage to always get the best of me this one was at least a tie, though I feel I won for the first time! Thanks

-gherrmann44, best presented, most creative, most informative; everyone has to respect advice from someone with those creds.

Again thank you all it's nice to be able to bounce stuff others with more knowledge than myself. If y'all ever need info on muscle cars or longhorn cows just ask.

David

need a loupe?

Untitled_zps50432bb4.png

P.S too many names to include them all lol

we did do only a few deals, but the fact that all 3 coins are still in my possession and not flipped and sold off, should indicate how much i liked those buys!

I would have to see them in hand. After 60 years of collecting, I still don't trust pictures and sight-unseen buying of expensive coins. It also depends on my trust of the dealer's judgment.

I am assuming the 1st pic is the PCGS coin and the second 'link' is the NGC coin........the surfaces and the luster of the NGC coin looks FAR superior but image is way too small to tell anything else. Mixing and matching NGC/PCGS coins is not a problem-----that is what I do with my own set all the time. It doesn't have to be all the same grading service. That would be DIFFICULT at best.

I would have to see them in hand. After 60 years of collecting, I still don't trust pictures and sight-unseen buying of expensive coins. It also depends on my trust of the dealer's judgment.

OT3---I haven't seen you post in a LONG time. I hope you are doing OK and glad to have you with us again.

I was surprised that you deleted your early Walker set. It looked like it was coming along well.

Anyway, welcome back. :)