• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADOPTION CENTRAL WAS OPEN TODAY. by CaptBrian1

17 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This Morgan has only one better, the MS67 and there is only one.

The Beautiful Morgan Silver Dollar Minted from 1878 - 1921.

I opened my door here at my home (and my wallet in this case) and in came a fantastic addition to my family. A 1921 S MS66 Morgan Silver Dollar.

Lady Liberty on the obverse, and the Eagle holding arrows and an olive branch on the reverse. 90% Silver, 10% copper. Total weight 26.73 grams.

The beautiful coin is named after its designer, George T. Morgan, who designed both sides of the coin.

How to calculate the melt value of the Morgan Silver Dollar:

Using the coin mint figures:

90% Silver & 10% copper, and the total weight of 26.73 grams,

Follow the formula below.

Using the current price (spot price) the following will get you to the melt value.

$19.55 = silver price / ounce on Jan 28, 2014.

.90 = silver %

$3.2724 = copper price / pound on Jan 28, 2014.

.10 = copper %

26.73 = total weight in grams

.0321507466 = ounce/gram conversion factor

.00220462262 = pound/gram conversion factor

Calculate 90% silver value :

(19.55 × .0321507466 × 26.73 × .90) = $15.1209558816

$15.1209 is the rounded silver value for the 1878-1921 silver Morgan dollar for today, 1-28-14.

If you try to melt Morgans, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dog.

The total mintage for this coin is 21,695,000.

I don't know about plagerism, and I sure don't want credit for a lot of info I did not write. Wikipedia sure gets the dope, so to save lots of your time and mine, I re-direct you to their site and info about the Morgan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Dollar

This file has about all you could want to know. I have about 10 Morgans, and only a few graded, and this one is, of course, the flagship of my Morgans.

Behind the Walking Silver Dollar, the Morgan is my favorite coin, truly a work of art.

ONE thing Wikipedia does not seem to mention, is the fact that our silver dollars, (pre-Morgan) were patterned after the Spanish Eight Reale.

So, I am not on a quest for Morgans at this time, as my Indians kind of wore me out, but I am still distilling my collection to get, like my steaks, on the rare side.

So, welcome the new adoptee to my home will ya. Hope you enjoy reading and learning about coins. ( I am afraid to begin on paper currency just yet)

Capt. Brian

15091.jpg

See more journals by CaptBrian1

very nice coin Capt.

If I may give you a tidbit on photographing coins with a flash. Put a white thin piece of cloth over the flash this will defuse the light and do away with the bright spot on the coin holder. If this does not work try a thicker piece of cloth. again I by no means mean to put your photo down. its simply a small piece of advice.

Happy collecting and may God Bless...Mike

Nice 1921 Morgan. The info about Anna Williams being the model for the obverse is false.

They even have it listed here on NGC as well. Maybe they should be given the info. btw; what is the real info Roger?

Capn... Very nice 21-S !!!

Nice !

Of course if you simply go to the red book and take the published .77344 oz pure silver times the $19.55 silver price you used you will come to the same $15.12

silver value

Cheers !

Rich

"They even have it listed here on NGC as well. Maybe they should be given the info. btw; what is the real info Roger?"

The real story will appear in a future issue of the Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR). Maybe Summer 2014.

The real story will appear in a future issue of the Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR). Maybe Summer 2014.

I look forward to that. I am still working away at the Mine to Mint as I read slowly and sometimes will read a paragraph multiple times to make sure I fully understood everything. It has been very educational so far.

I got lucky on that last NumiQuest and won the book ""The Treasure Ship S.S. New York, Her Story 1837-1846" by Bowers so I am really looking forward to that book arriving ... might sideline yours temporarily. :grin:

Let's put to rest the question: "Who's face is on the Morgan obverse?"

The female is the artist's rendering of an imaginary character meant to symbolize something profound like 'Liberty' There have been many answers, such as the lady on the Statue of Liberty, Or Justice, or Divine Providence. It may be Columbia or some other lofty figure. BUT According to US law, no US coin may bear the image of any living being. (therefore, a model could not have been used [legally], so it is not too likely the artist used a model. 1909 was the first US coin to bear the likeness of an actual person, the Lincoln cent. That coin was released in commemoration of Lincoln's 100 Birthday.

This is interesting because, since the mint has embarked upon the Presidential Dollar program to depict all of our presidents, and to be released in the order in which they served. Currently the program is scheduled to run through 2016, with Gerald Ford being the last coin scheduled. Once Jimmy Carter passes, they can schedule his coin and Ronald Reagan to finish out the 4 releases in 2016.

If that law is being observed, for sure the artist, Morgan, would not jeaprodize his job by using a totally unnecessary model. Futher, finish reading my reply here, and you will see, "the rest of the story".

It was NOT the school teacher Anna Willess Williams. This was a claim put in by a newspaper in NY which due to copywrite laws I can't write too much on, but you can go to. www.uspatterns.com/anwilsildolg.html and see for yourself that story.

The last paragraph of that site tells the real story, and puts it to rest, Lady Liberty is a rendition. That's from the horse's mouth,Okay?

Capt. Brian

BUT According to US law, no US coin may bear the image of any living being. (therefore, a model could not have been used [legally], so it is not too likely the artist used a model.

This is interesting because, since the mint has embarked upon the Presidential Dollar program to depict all of our presidents, and to be released in the order in which they served. Currently the program is scheduled to run through 2016, with Gerald Ford being the last coin scheduled. Once Jimmy Carter passes, they can schedule his coin and Ronald Reagan to finish out the 4 releases in 2016.

Why do you say that it is against the law to use a model for a coin? Is that current law? From your reference to the Presidential Dollars I would assume so.

Was the Sacagawea Dollar not a excellent example, as well as a highly publicized one at that, of Glenna Goodacre using the model for the image depicting Sacagawea?

Yes, it is a law, considering the present case of the Presidential Dollars, it seems they are still following it. Also, the lovely indian lady never had her picture taken, just a drawing by either Lewis or Clark, so it would still follow. AND I believe she died a little bit ago, so it would be okay to use a likeness of her.

Capt.

Yes, it is a law, considering the present case of the Presidential Dollars, it seems they are still following it. Also, the lovely indian lady never had her picture taken, just a drawing by either Lewis or Clark, so it would still follow. AND I believe she died a little bit ago, so it would be okay to use a likeness of her.

Capt.

I think you might find this educational. Glenna Goodacre DID in fact use a living model that today is still alive and well.

Randy'L He-dow Teton is the model whose likeness appears as Sacagawea on the golden dollar. At the time she modeled for designer Glenna Goodacre in 1998, Ms. Teton was a 22 year old college student at the University of New Mexico.

The above text is being used under 'Fair Use' - U.S. Code, (Title 17, Sections 107 - 118) which states: brief excerpts of copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.

Sorry, CaptBrian, but much of the USPatterns article is bologna. Dates and events are confused and the overall implications are completely wrong. Most of the names are correct, but the story is so badly mangled that it has little historical value. Compare to the JNR article when it is available and you will understand my comments.

I am going to let the subject rest. I continued my investigation, using the internet, and there are just more stories than I can look into. I guess it is a moot point anyway. I was going by the law and assuming that those artists involved with the mint would follow suit.

I guess either I am off base, and none-the-less, keep getting thrown out at the plate so I'm gonna take a 7th inning stretch.

Thanks for the input. Have a great day.

Capt. Brian

I can't even get the smile face to work. lol