• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of my lots came in an extra-thick NGC slab

23 posts in this topic

Its LxW dimensions are standard, but the thickness precludes me from putting in an NGC box with standard spacing between slots. (I have a large number of the old NGC boxes made from semi-clear plastic.)

Anyone know which standard boxes out there can accommodate this type of slab? The assessed grade is sufficiently high that I won't consider liberating the coin and keeping it raw.

TIA,

EVP

Its LxW dimensions are standard, but the thickness precludes me from putting in an NGC box with standard spacing between slots. (I have a large number of the old NGC boxes made from semi-clear plastic.)

Anyone know which standard boxes out there can accommodate this type of slab? The assessed grade is sufficiently high that I won't consider liberating the coin and keeping it raw.

TIA,

EVP

There are a few times when I have had this kind of a problem.

What I did was use my Dremel and modified the slot. It was very easy.

Hi EVP,

Unfortunately, there are no NGC (or other brand) boxes that are slotted to hold the double thick NGC slabs. But, I think johncurlis has the right idea. :)

-Brandon

Hmmm...

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking of going with boxes that have no slots, because this will also be nice for raw coins in flips (common for us dark side folks).

EVP

Is that for those 'Plus Size' (+) coins?

Happens at the local kosher deli when they get to the end of the brisket..they just whomp it on the rye and it's really extra thick.

TIA,

EVP

why not use the dremel to modify the slab? :devil:

TIA,

EVP

why not use the dremel to modify the slab? :devil:

lol.... hm

Must be one like this.

7wgz.png

2y47.png

Yep, that's the type. I have three medals in those types of holders. Don't see them all that often...

18th century 5 kopec pieces are too thick for standard holders...this applies to originals and novodels.

how thick is this slab? i don't think i've ever seen one like this.

i have many of the normal "fatty" NGC slabs and i just store them in a blue PCGS box

2_zps5e996b8a.jpg

i have many of the normal "fatty" NGC slabs and i just store them in a blue PCGS box

See the picture above your post. These are not "fatty" slabs -- they are recent double-thick NGC slabs used for particularly large world coins and for some medals. PCGS boxes won't hold them. I also don't like PCGS boxes because the lids don't shut completely when you put in NGC slabs; I have an inkling that was done on purpose. :frustrated:

I also don't like PCGS boxes because the lids don't shut completely when you put in NGC slabs; I have an inkling that was done on purpose. :frustrated:

i know that is so :censored: annoying!

The extra-thick or extra-deep slab is made to accommodate high relief coins and metals that would not fit inside a normal slab. I guestimate them to be 1.5x thicker than a normal NGC slab. They have a square ring around the perimeter of the interior compartment, which can partially obstruct the view of wider coins and medals.

1759slabBetts418_zpse2e93666.jpg

1759revBetts418_zps6dbdf6bf.jpg

Yes, thanks, Coindude. It's exactly like that, and seems unnecessary for my coin (an Imperial Russia copper 5K from Catherine the Great).

My 5 Kopecs fit snuggly in regular size PCGS slabs. I imagine they would fit NGC as well.

When I submitted my ANA medals for grading, ten of them (5-silver & 5-bronze)

were high relief and had to go into the extra-thick slab.

Chris