• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lesser known St. Gaudens work

5 posts in this topic

In planning a trip to Colorado and back, I figured we'd head north and drive through Wyoming on the return trip.

Lo and behold, I found out about an obscure work that includes sculptures from our beloved Augustus St. Gaudens-- the Ames Brothers Pyramid near Buford (know as "the smallest town in America).

Check it out here: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2259

I'm sure my non-numismatist friends will be enthralled by my story of how I took my family miles out of the way to see this historic landmark.

Minor nitpick in the text: Saint-Gaudens was not "in line" to design the Lincoln penny (or cent). He had proposed an obverse design similar to the $10 gold but with Liberty wearing a wreath of olive instead to TR's Indian headdress. The rev was another wreath surrounding the denomination and date. The Lincoln idea was Brenner's and TR latched on to it almost right away in August 1908.