• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 kennedy half value

11 posts in this topic

Is a 1964 proof 68 UC really worth in the neighborhood of $750?

I was looking at some of the coins that I haven't looked at in a while and the NGC price guide said, "the coin you paid $50 for in the year 2000 or so is now worth $750"

I know it's not worth that much, but what can I expect to get for it?

Thanks as always,

Ray

No. its not worth $750. I buy and sell Kennedy Halves and Franklin Halves for a living. Your coin is worth about $400 Fair Market Value. It may be worth a little bit more in PCGS. There were a couple graded by PCGS that sold for $519 in the last 4 months. But, that was a fairly high price to pay. I believe its only worth around $420-$440 in PCGS. In NGC, its worth about $395 to around $415.

Not all coins go for 50% of book value. It just happens that this coin is worth around 50% of book value. Most coins graded by NGC sell above the NGC price guide. I even remember when I had a 1956 Franklin Half Type 2 NGC PF69 Ultra Cameo. The book value was $2430. But, I sold it for $3050. If it was on Ebay, I would have sold it for like $3270 to around $3450. Why their price guide is like that, I dont know....

I also have a 1951 PR 68 Roosevelt dime with no cam designation, and the darn coin is at least cam if not Ucam.

Should I send it to NGC or should I send it ATS?

Thanks again,

Ray

I also have a 1951 PR 68 Roosevelt dime with no cam designation, and the darn coin is at least cam if not Ucam.

Thanks again,

Ray

if you think there's a very good chance at getting that designation, i think it's worth trying. there's a big jump in price on this date with CAM / UCAM

Thanks again,

Ray

There is an enormous PCGS premium on these if you are convinced that you can get it into designated PCGS plastic (we would need to see photos). Within a one year period, a PCGS PR66 DCAM sold for almost double of what a NGC PF67 UCAM sold for. Most recently, a NGC 66 UCAM coin sold in January of this year for more than a NGC 68 UCAM example sold for two years ago. With this said, the sample size is very limited and the data also limited by timing considerations; however, even when looking at normal cameo examples (not DCAM/UCAM) where there is much more data and closer together in time, there is a clear premium for PCGS coins.

Summary: If you think it will receive a designation, it is worth sending to PCGS. Even if it doesn't cross exactly at grade, you may still come out ahead.

Alright. This is my take on this. Whats important is the population. Take a look at the population for NGC and PCGS. NGC POP 85, PCGS POP only 8. So, obviously, you would have a better chance getting a PF68 CAM if you resubmitted it to NGC. I would just submit it to NGC, and hope to get a CAMEO. If you sent it to PCGS, you can forget about getting anything. And it may even downgrade to a PR67. At least if you send it to NGC, if it is a CAMEO, they are forced to call it PF68 CAMEO, and not PF67 CAMEO. Once you get your PF68 CAM, you can always try to cross it later.