• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it safe to handle coins with latex gloves?

29 posts in this topic

i have the cotton gloves. but i feel like i have better dexterity with latex gloves.

are they okay to use when handling coins?

No.

They are also not a good idea for handling patients. :banana:

Re. cotton gloves...take a light emory board, and lightly rub across the fingertips of the cotton gloves.

If you are not allergic to latex, you may find that wearing the cotton gloves over the top of the latex gives you the "feel" you seek.

You might also consider switching to nitrile.

Latex gloves are perfectly safe for wear while dealing with coins. Just make sure you get the non-powdered variety - a lot of latex gloves are powdered, and that powder will get on your coins. You don't want that, obviously.

Nitrile gloves are often recommended over latex, because they don't have the powder. I personally prefer the feel of cotton, and as long as you keep a can of compressed air to blow off any fibers, the cotton gloves should be fine. I also don't like the smell of latex or nitrile, or the feel. I always use cotton gloves.

You can use latex gloves to handle coins. I personally recommend using nitrile gloves, however, as the latex gloves make my hands smell like skunk (even when I use powder free gloves). Perhaps it is my personal body chemistry, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I personally prefer the feel of cotton, and as long as you keep a can of compressed air to blow off any fibers, the cotton gloves should be fine.

Are you absolutely sure that this is safe to do? Even when shaken well, most cans of compressed air that I have seen still tend to disperse small droplets of liquid (or at least produce the possibility for doing so). I wouldn't want that landing on my coins.

Latex gloves are perfectly safe for wear while dealing with coins. Just make sure you get the non-powdered variety - a lot of latex gloves are powdered, and that powder will get on your coins. You don't want that, obviously.

Nitrile gloves are often recommended over latex, because they don't have the powder. I personally prefer the feel of cotton, and as long as you keep a can of compressed air to blow off any fibers, the cotton gloves should be fine. I also don't like the smell of latex or nitrile, or the feel. I always use cotton gloves.

I am certain you have much more experience, but consider the allergic reaction of latex on others, and consider transfer from latex (and nitrile) to the coin.

Allergy: The latex reaction can sometimes be immediate to a person with an allergy, and sometimes much later, and can even occur after a coin has been handled by somebody wearing latex and then a person that is allergic touches it. This is especially true of the international brands of latex (and nitrile).

Transfer: The latex/nitrile can transfer everything to a coin-moisture, fingerprints, residue, etc., and air is not going to readily dispose of it. A slight residue still remains on hands after removing such gloves-powdered or not.

I agree, cotton is best, and the "feel" that is being sought can be acheived by wearing over nitrile or latex, but nitrile is best due to allergy possibility. Light sanding of the cotton is also helpful. :foryou:

You can use latex gloves to handle coins. I personally recommend using nitrile gloves, however, as the latex gloves make my hands smell like skunk (even when I use powder free gloves). Perhaps it is my personal body chemistry, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I assure you it is not your personal chemistry. Nitrile also still leaves a residue. :foryou:

I am certain you have much more experience, but consider the allergic reaction of latex on others, and consider transfer from latex (and nitrile) to the coin.

What do you use when bathing a coin in acetone or dipping one?

What do you use when bathing a coin in acetone or dipping one?

Well, now that is an interesting question. If I ever did do that, which I have not (don't everbody jump up to get a stone at once) I would use only chemical resistant gloves-rated. Latex and nitrile are not rated. I will say that chemical resistant gloves-rated is all I use anytime I am handling chemicals- alcohol, gasoline, wd40, etc. I have the prettiest hands.... :cloud9::foryou:

I would use only chemical resistant gloves-rated. Latex and nitrile are not rated. I will say that chemical resistant gloves-rated is all I use anytime I am handling chemicals- alcohol, gasoline, wd40, etc.

I was not aware of that, and this is very interesting. We were told to use these regularly in my organic chemistry labs in college. I guess it's just my university being cheap as always, but I will definitely investigate this further for personal use. Thanks for the heads up!

I have the prettiest hands.... :cloud9::foryou:

lol:)

I would use only chemical resistant gloves-rated. Latex and nitrile are not rated. I will say that chemical resistant gloves-rated is all I use anytime I am handling chemicals- alcohol, gasoline, wd40, etc.

I was not aware of that, and this is very interesting. We were told to use these regularly in my organic chemistry labs in college. I guess it's just my university being cheap as always, but I will definitely investigate this further for personal use. Thanks for the heads up!

I have the prettiest hands.... :cloud9::foryou:

lol:)

Neither latex or nitrile are recommended for acetone, and alcohol is iffy, and definitely iffy for many (read most) international manufactured brands. :foryou:

Allergy: The latex reaction can sometimes be immediate to a person with an allergy, and sometimes much later, and can even occur after a coin has been handled by somebody wearing latex and then a person that is allergic touches it. This is especially true of the international brands of latex (and nitrile).

Well obviously if you are allergic to latex, you shouldn't wear latex gloves. I would have thought that didn't need to be said.

As for the acetone question: honestly, I normally use bare hands when dealing with acetone. The stuff is non-toxic, and really has little to no effect on your fingers. Just make sure your hands are clean (any residues or oils will be dissolved in the acetone, and could be redeposited on your coins).

Well obviously if you are allergic to latex, you shouldn't wear latex gloves. I would have thought that didn't need to be said.

As for the acetone question: honestly, I normally use bare hands when dealing with acetone. The stuff is non-toxic, and really has little to no effect on your fingers. Just make sure your hands are clean (any residues or oils will be dissolved in the acetone, and could be redeposited on your coins).

Again, I am sure you are correct. It may be of interest, though, to know that a very surprising percentage of people don't know they are allergic to latex, and don't recognize the symptoms that range from mild to severe, and think it is something else. It may be that it is needed to be said. Then there is the issue of wearing latex and passing it on, so to speak, to those that are that are allergic. Then there is still the issue of transfer. :foryou:

Bare hands with acetone, well, I am just not that brave. :fear: I commend you. (worship)

The toxic thing, I think that may not be quite accurate. :cry:

However, given the overwhelming response of various opinions, I propose that the 1st Annual Webinar Symposium for Alternative Hand Coverings for Coin Collectors Club (AHCCCC) be established and scheduled. :banana::whee:

However, given the overwhelming response of various opinions, I propose that the 1st Annual Webinar Symposium for Alternative Hand Coverings for Coin Collectors Club (AHCCCC) be established and scheduled. :banana::whee:

I think we first need to commission an in-depth comparative study, looking at long term effects on collectors and coins precipitated by their use of alternative hand coverings. This will test all manner of hand coverings, including cowhide, alligator, snakeskin, rhinestone, latex, polyester, and other alternative hand coverings. The issue of style also must be considered - latex gloves come in a wide varieties of colors. Is the regular white the best? Or should the discerning collector opt for a more stylish choice like purple? Should the color be chosen to complement the type of coins being handled? Would black gloves be better for gold coins, and so on?

These are important questions that demand an answer! The AHCCCC must be called to action!

:devil::P:hi:

My old hockey gloves I've found are OK for pucks but they're just too big for examining most coins.

A baseball glove may be an effective tool for the clumsier collectors, if they were to drop a coin.

I think we first need to commission an in-depth comparative study, looking at long term effects on collectors and coins precipitated by their use of alternative hand coverings. This will test all manner of hand coverings, including cowhide, alligator, snakeskin, rhinestone, latex, polyester, and other alternative hand coverings. The issue of style also must be considered - latex gloves come in a wide varieties of colors. Is the regular white the best? Or should the discerning collector opt for a more stylish choice like purple? Should the color be chosen to complement the type of coins being handled? Would black gloves be better for gold coins, and so on?

These are important questions that demand an answer! The AHCCCC must be called to action!

:devil::P:hi:

lol

You have brought very serious and important issues to our attention.

Upon further reflection, we must first select a Board for AHCCCC.

Their first duty will be the official adoption (and pronunciation) of the name AHCCCC.

For consideration, should it be AHCCCC (pronounced " AHKKKK !:eek:), or should it be AH4C (pronounced " AH, FK! :cry:), or AHFC (pronounced "AHFOURSEE :idea:" PS: don't really like that one...sounds a little to southern futuristic).

Any will work, I think, but to save future typing efforts and time, it may be be more accomodating to the membership to just identify themselves as AH4C when typing or writing, and AH,FK when conversing.

I don't think I should be a Board Member, since I am not very good at arguing, and usually shy away from confrontations, and mutter 'ah, fk" when I leave.

My only objection to the worthwhile points you have raised is" Purple"...Purple"?

Really? AH, FK. :acclaim:

My old hockey gloves I've found are OK for pucks but they're just too big for examining most coins.

A baseball glove may be an effective tool for the clumsier collectors, if they were to drop a coin.

...except for the goils. :sumo: No baseball for goils :sumo: (sorry, my Brooklyn Irish escaped for a moment). :foryou:

... the puberty days, and the uses we found for our cherished gloves.... :cloud9:

You got it. :grin:

I have had my bare hands in acetone on a regular basis with no ill effects (my often mistaken face as a Halloween mask was with me long before I dabbled in acetone). Think about it: women nail polish remover is basically acetone with some foo-foo fragrance and conditioners to help to try to combat the fact that acetone is a wonderful solvent for oils...including body oil. At worst, after exposing your fingers to acetone, you !at need a good hand lotion to counter those effects.

I personally prefer the feel of cotton, and as long as you keep a can of compressed air to blow off any fibers, the cotton gloves should be fine.

Are you absolutely sure that this is safe to do? Even when shaken well, most cans of compressed air that I have seen still tend to disperse small droplets of liquid (or at least produce the possibility for doing so). I wouldn't want that landing on my coins.

I use can air all the time. My initial spray is always away from the coin to release any condensation. It's all air after that.

I have had my bare hands in acetone on a regular basis with no ill effects (my often mistaken face as a Halloween mask was with me long before I dabbled in acetone). Think about it: women nail polish remover is basically acetone with some foo-foo fragrance and conditioners to help to try to combat the fact that acetone is a wonderful solvent for oils...including body oil. At worst, after exposing your fingers to acetone, you !at need a good hand lotion to counter those effects.

You are very brave. I am a coward. :cry:

As long as you realize that regular exposure at high concentrations are absorbed thru the skin, and while dermatitis is the obvious first indication because it drys out fatty content, and while the body produces a certain amount of acetone naturally and it is usually disposed of thru urine, etc., and while pregnant women and actively exercising produces higher concentrations in the body, and while it is found in nature, continuous exposure on a regular basis in high concentrations causes many other problems-to the nervous system, unexplained headaches, organ damage, etc., and in very rare instances, has caused death in individuals that are unable to break it down naturally for a wide varity of reasons.

As long as you are aware that there are consequences that can't be seen from high concentration exposure on aregular basis, and are by no means limited to dermatitis, then dunk away... :banana::foryou: PS: Call me when certain physical functions seem a little off :whee:

I use can air all the time. My initial spray is always away from the coin to release any condensation. It's all air after that.

Why do you insist on using logic and in following directions on a can? That is no way to keep a good Thread going..... :sumo::foryou:

Whew.... When I first read that, I thought you said to call you if my physical functions fall off..... I REALLY don't want that!

lol

So we both are clear, DON"T call me if that particular autoamputation occurs.

No glove is going to work either, whether it was in place before the event (and there is nothing wrong with that-I am not judging), or not. :whee:

Awww...but I thought you cared! Lmao....

Rest assured that I will only use my fingers for dipping into acetone and reserve my other physical functions for less ( or is it more?) delicate activities.