• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a 1793 to current chronological coin thread!

245 posts in this topic

One coin per post. No skipping years. Let's try to get to 2013 by New Years!

Let's make it fun! :)

I'll start with 1793

flyiyt.jpg

Next up is another 1793 or a 1794.

One coin per post. No skipping years. Let's try to get to 2013 by New Years!

Let's make it fun! :)

I'll start with 1793

flyiyt.jpg

Next up is another 1793 or a 1794.

Seems to me we should start with the half cent.... :makepoint::foryou: just kidding...don't throw anything at me :whee:

Okay, I'll post one the classic coins, the 1796 Quarter. I could run the first decade or so here, but I won't. When you get into the 1820s and later it gets hit and miss for me.

1796QuarterO-1.jpg1796QuarterR-1.jpg

This 1798 Bust dollar is a Bolender - 17 and a BB-101. It was the plate coin for the variety in David Bowers' two volume silver dollar variety book set and was listed as a condition census piece for the die pairing. It was dropped completely from Bowers' one volume Bust dollar update book so go figure.

1798DollarRMe_zpsa330d17f.jpg1798DollarOMe_zpseb83577b.jpg

Okay. Let's get over the "prior to 1800 hump" and see if we can go from there. The 1799 $10 gold piece is the most common date amoung the early eagles. This piece was the large stars is the most common 1799 eagle variety.

1799EagleO.jpg1799EagleR.jpg

This was the first Draped Bust half dime I had ever seen with sharp detail. Another collector owned it. I left a standing offer to buy it from him. He wanted my 1792 half disme. As it turned out he blinked first. ;)

1803HalfDimeO.jpg1803HalfDimeR.jpg

Here is an 1804 Spiked Chin half cent. This injured obverse came with four different reverses. This reverse is interesting because it has a big crack through it. This may have resulted when the obverse die was injured by a foreign object, maybe a screw. Cohen listed this as C-5 and rated it as an R-4.

1804SpikeChinO.jpg1804SpikedChinR.jpg