• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STRUCK AT???? posted by namvette68

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

You tell me

Hello everyone,

I have put the reverse of 2 ASE, NGC graded MS70. Can you tell me where they were struck?

Good luck

This is why we buy the mint out of the same coins. No one complains about the fraud.

Happy Collecting

14505.jpg

See more journals by namvette68

It might just be that the same people/person carved the original die and copies are made without mint marks. Then are sent to all the mints. Where they install there mint mark that is one reason that the small S's D's P's and W never look like the other lettering on the coin. This I learned by simply watching the Discovery channel's instead of sitcoms.

Happy Collecting and May God Bless....Mike

Can I humbly suggest then you collect something other than American Silver Eagles (ASE)? There are many nice pre-1965 U.S. coins to collect. While I like ASE there are just far too many to collect and all are either perfect or nearly perfect. There are many more collecting options with pre-1965 U.S. coins. Think about it.

As for me------- I see 2 oz. of silver bullion!! The mint has already proved in the past that mint mark is unnecessary for these over sized jewels to sell. That is when I really slowed down on the collection of Silver Eagles and sold most that I had. No mint mark die will save the mint production costs and they can still raise the sales prices.

HMMM------Rick

I wouldn't even attempt a guess.

I started buying Proof silver eagles fom the Mint in 1986. I only buy the non-proof for bullion, usually a few each year. The proliferation of proof, enhanced proof, reverse proof, P, S, W mintmarks, "struck at" without mintmarks, burnished, etc., not to mention the bogus "planchet shortage" of 2009, has totally turned me off from the series. I'm with mvcoins on this, pre-65 is the way to go.

I think the OP is implying the mint is "defrauding" you because the bullion coins don't have a mint mark and because of the huge demand for these coins, they've had to use San Francisco to handle to overflow, thus creating a "need" to buy more coins.

The reality of the situation is that the mint is only satisfying bullion demand. It's the bullion dealers who are attempting to captilize on the situation, not the mint. The bullion dealers are sending the TPG's the green monster boxes still strapped so they can tell where they were struck and add another coin to the series. What he/she is showing are the reverse of two bullion coins, struck at different mints. The obverse has the different labels indicating where they are minted.

Yes, the mint has a number of different ASE's for purchase, but how is that fraudulant? They are not holding a gun to anyone's head demanding they be purchased. If you don't like it, don't buy them. They've added some special designs to commemorate ASE anniversaries, but again, you don't have to buy them.