• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't Buy Coins from Peabody Coins and Jewelry of Massachusetts

19 posts in this topic

So yeah, they're a terrible company to deal with; no communication at all. I recently ran across this:

http://mycoinonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=335_338_88&products_id=4147

So, a 1975 regular issue Washington quarter isn't supposed to exist. The Mint was producing the Bi-Centennial quarter in 1975 and 1976. Yet, here is a photo of one. So I'm thinking that this is either an extremely rare error, or a counterfeit. Either way, it's worth the $12.

But don't get too excited. Because, as far as I know, the 1975 regular issue quarter still doesn't exist. The company sent me a Bi-Centennial quarter instead without contacting me first. AND the Bi-Centennial quarter isn't even in Gem BU condition. More like the lower end of Choice Unc.

After contacting the company via email about a refund, I get no response after two days. My next step is to contact the BBB on Monday. But as far as getting that refund, I don't think it's happening.

BUYER BEWARE: Stay away form Peabody Coins and Jewelry of Massachusetts

The disturbing part for me is that they have a "picture" of a coin that doesn't exist. It seems to me that they are knowingly trying to defraud the consumer by altering a real image to look like something it isn't and then charge $12 for it? Thanks for the heads up - they'll certainly be on my no fly list.

Todd

Mr. Rad buys, sells and manufactures jewelry to wholesale and retail customers. The majority of his business is providing services to wholesalers, and Koorash frequently travels to various parts of the world to do so. The company was established and incorporated in Massachusetts in 1994. It employs one person. Mr. Koorash Rad is the Owner of the company. All questions or concerns should be addressed to his attention.

--

5/28/2013 Advertising/Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: On Thursday, January 17, 2013, I purchased online from Peabody Coin and Jewelery, a French 10 Franc Gold Coin. I payed $196.32 plus $5.00 shipping, for a total of $201.32. I confirmed from my bank statement a charge/debit of $201.32 to Peabody Estate Buyers on 1/22/13. After two weeks , I called the coin shop in Peabody MA and was told the coin was on the way. After another week, I called back again and was told the coin was now on the way. After another week, I called again and asked for the owner and I was directed to "***". *** claimed that the coin was shipped, but never arrived, twice! They sent the coin with a signature confirmation, so they know the coin never arrived. *** claims that he spoke with a post office inspector and the post office made a mistake and are writing me a letter of apology. He assured me that my coin was returned and that it would be next day delivered the next day. That was in March! Today is April 17, 2013, three months after I purchased my French 10 Franc Gold Coin! This company has a two page glossy advertisement every month in the major and popular coin magazine COIN WORLD. The impression is that this is a reputable coin dealer, now I have my doubts if I'll ever receive my French 10 Franc Gold Coin. Anyone considering buying from this company should consider my story and what I have had to go through to get what I bought and payed for.

Desired Settlement: I would like to receive the French 10 Franc Gold Coin that I purchased.

Business Response: On numerous occasions we have apologized to the customer. After the coin got lost in the mail and we were unable to track the package, we offered to refund his money. Customer did not want a full refund and insisted on waiting until we could find replacement, even after we explained how difficult it is to acquire this coin in the first place. The customer eventually received his coin, on April 24th with our apologies. USPS Tracking number: ********************** and Signed by customer

Consumer Response: I have reviewed the response submitted by the business and have determined that the response does not satisfy or resolve my issues and/or concerns in reference to complaint.

I did eventually receive a gold coin from Peabody coin. It was however not the coin I ordered. I received a 1859 Napoleon 10 Franc gold coin. I ordered and payed for a 10 Franc gold coin with "Marianne" on the obverse and the Gallic on the reverse. I was told that this coin would be sent to me in exchange. As of Friday May 10, 2013, I still have not received the replacement coin. It is also interesting to note that at no time was I ever offered my money back. This is a blatent lie. My message to all coin collectors, worldwide, is beware of doing business with Peabody Coin & Jewelery or Peabody Estate Buyers.

BBB's Final Determination: After reviewing the position of all parties, BBB determined that the business made a reasonable effort to address the complaint. However the consumer remains dissatisfied.

From BBB

Without defending the company's actions, I'm not sure why the OP would have purchased the coin in the first place.

It's obviously not a rare error, as such an error is impossible - no die 1975-date dies were ever produced.

If it's a counterfeit, it's worth a buck or two IMO as a curiousity, not $12.

This whole story is weird. The buyer purchases something that he knows does not exist. The seller was wrong in delivering a disk that was not dated 1975, but still the buyer knew the best he could get was a counterfeit. The seller's price is way too high, but the buyer still sort of walked into this one.

To me this whole store can be summed up with this cartoon. :kidaround:

Was a 1975 quarter one of the "fantasy overstrikes" that Dan Carr produced?

He made 1975 dollars but I don't know if he made quarters and halves as well.