• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
5 5

2,508 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 7:31 PM, Lem E said:

I have been on a raw coin kick for a little while now and while I have ended up with a few cleaned coins and some bad buys, I have been having a lot of fun seeing some of these coins in hand and not having to pay an arm and a leg for them. 

1858 FLYNG EAGLE COMBINE.JPG

I, for one, think there's a lot to be said for simplicity.  After years of pursuing graded coins and winning two big NGC Registry awards, I found myself feeling dissatisfied with the hobby a bit.  So, I tried a new project (my Faustina the Younger project) and I decided to go very simple with it.....just me, the raw coins, 2x2 holders and a nice Whitman stock book.  I love it and it completely rejuvenated me collecting-wise.  This was in 2019, and I'm still loving the project and working on it.  I like simple....getting back to the raw coins and everything and I like seeing another collector simplify.  And, judging by your Flying Eagle there, you're having more hits than misses and you said you're having fun.  That's the most important part right there.....this is a hobby.  It should be fun :) 

On 9/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, rmpsrpms said:

I just got back from a trip to SoCal to visit the Redondo Beach Electronics Swap Meet, and stopped into a few coin shops along the way. One shop had just purchased the inventory of a coin dealer who retired in the late 70's. My only buying interest is Lincoln Wheat Cent rolls, and they had a nice small hoard of them. I ended up getting 126 rolls from 44-S through 58-D, with a good quantity of 54-D, 54-S, and 55-S. About 1/3 of them are OBW, and there are also quite a few Meghrig rolls as well. I'm hoping for some nice varieties and toners in these rolls, and maybe will post some pics as I go through them. Wish me luck.

Welcome back, Rumpelstiltskin! 

OBW did you check out their OBW while you were searching for OBW?  (thumbsu Translation: Oh, By the Way, did you check out their Original Buffalo Wings while searching for OBW rolls?  

If it were me, I would go back and tell him there were seven (7) 1909-S cents in there in AU condition, and carefully observe his reaction.  I've been collecting on-and-off for over fifty years and, to borrow an old WWII German expression: When I hear the word "unsearched," which yours presumably were, I slip the safety catch off my gun.

Some of our younger members collect rolls but I am not so sure they know what to look for in terms of exterior appearance.  I wish you the best of luck!

P.S.  With the implementation of cutting edge technology, this chat board enjoys troll-free status.  So feel free to jump in at any time.  🐓 

On 9/28/2021 at 10:16 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Some of our younger members collect rolls but I am not so sure they know what to look for in terms of exterior appearance.  I wish you the best of luck!

A while back I wrote a brief "OBW Roll Buying Guide" that is posted over on Lincoln Cent Forum. I talk about a few of the things to look for to make sure an "OBW" roll is actually Original. There are quite a few factors, take a look here:

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/original-bank-rolls-obw-buying-guide/

@Mr_Spud  Incredibly beautiful coin. (I don't what your stance is on @RWB's thread on the "Phrygian cap" but I much prefer the simpler look, an unadorned head featuring a headband stating LIBERTY as executed on your coin.)

On 10/6/2021 at 11:10 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mr_Spud  Incredibly beautiful coin. (I don't what your stance is on @RWB's thread on the "Phrygian cap" but I much prefer the simpler look, an unadorned head featuring a headband stating LIBERTY as executed on your coin.)

Carrying the cap on a pole or rod would be the correct way to display it - a symbol of liberty that is given to the emancipated. (Of course, we weren't freed Roman slaves either...)

On 10/7/2021 at 10:59 AM, RWB said:

Carrying the cap on a pole or rod would be the correct way to display it - a symbol of liberty that is given to the emancipated. (Of course, we weren't freed Roman slaves either...)

More like freedom from the tyranny of British rule, dictators etc for the Revolutionaries

On 10/7/2021 at 7:44 PM, Mr_Spud said:

More like freedom from the tyranny of British rule, dictators etc for the Revolutionaries

I had read somewhere the tradition dates back over one thousand years, to present-day Western Turkey, and the color of choice was red.  I was wondering whether the slightly conical cap with tassels (commonly referred to as a "fez") traced it's origins to those times or was strictly religious dress.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:35 PM, 124Spider said:

Very nice coins! I'm curious what grades they are; they look very clean!

Thanks. They are both raw. Just got them in hand yesterday. I just now noticed the fingerprint. :censored:

On 10/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, 124Spider said:

Just a little print!  Where do you get 90 year old raw coins that clean?

There are no coin shops around here so mainly scouring the net. I have a good network of trusted ebay dealers that I buy from. I do pretty good most of the time, but I have bought some garbage too. 

On 10/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, Lem E said:

There are no coin shops around here so mainly scouring the net. I have a good network of trusted ebay dealers that I buy from. I do pretty good most of the time, but I have bought some garbage too. 

Yeah, I've done the same thing.  Mostly I get what I expected to get, but sometimes....