• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
5 5

2,501 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, Coinbuf said:

One of my long term goals has always been to add more large cents to my collection, however given my age I had better get moving or I'll run out of time. lol

1856-Comp.jpg

I recently sent a 47' in, they received it today, and it has a slight bit more wear on the Rev than yours but the Obv to me really stands out. I think these are the type of coins that look 100 times better in hand. Such a "chocolatey" brown ! 

Edited by EdG_Ohio

On 8/12/2021 at 5:01 PM, Mohawk said:

Here's my Dad's 41st birthday gift to me:

Roman Empire / Römische Kaiserzeit AE Dupondius 145/161 AD FAUSTINA II - Augusta, 147-176 AD VF

She's coming from Sweden so it'll be a bit before I get her, but I think she's some fantastic copper to share!!!

Very nice no doubt the waiting is difficult but it looks to be very worth the wait.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, Coinbuf said:

Very nice no doubt the waiting is difficult but it looks to be very worth the wait.

Thank you for the kind words on my latest addition!!! Oh yeah, the waiting's hard........but I think that's a pain we all know!! :) 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, Coinbuf said:

One of my long term goals has always been to add more large cents to my collection, however given my age I had better get moving or I'll run out of time. lol

1856-Comp.jpg

And I have to compliment you on your pretty lady as well......that's a very nice second to last year of issue you have there.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:05 PM, Mohawk said:

And here is my favorite copper piece (well, orichalcum brass) that I own.  I have a thing for green copper ancients.  It's one of the centerpieces of my Faustina the Younger collection:

101_4942.JPG

101_4944.JPG

Green copper ancients? This piece with its own unique patina pistachio definitely has a lot going for it.  It's even got my roosters crowing!  🐓

Thanks Quintus!! If it has your beautiful golden theropods crowing, then I'm definitely doing something right!!!

On 8/17/2021 at 5:58 PM, dleonard-3 said:

One of my favorite early Lincolns

1916 1C NGC MS64RD-OBV (2).jpg

1916 1C NGC MS64RD-REV (2).jpg

1916 1C NGC MS64RD-TAG (2).jpg

That's a nice one.  If you want a nice Lincoln Wheat cent, the 1916 is always a solid go to......I think that's the best the Lincoln ever looked!! Very nice coin!

I know that this has been cleaned at some point (as have many ancients  Most of the ones that still exist have been dug out of the ground, so they need it), but look at that great orichalcum color!

ROM, KAISERZEIT As 147-149 FAUSTINA IUNIOR VF-

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/18/2021 at 6:41 PM, Coinbuf said:

1957ccomp.jpg

I have to say, you just reminded this crusty, jaded Roman coin guy how beautiful even common date Wheat cents can be!!! Well done and thank you for that!!

On 8/18/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mohawk said:

I know that this has been cleaned at some point (as have many ancients  Most of the ones that still exist have been dug out of the ground, so they need it), but look at that great orichalcum color!

ROM, KAISERZEIT As 147-149 FAUSTINA IUNIOR VF-

C'mon Mo', no way I'm gonna let you slide on this one. "Great" Orichalcum? How does this differ from those Cu-Ni Indian Head cents from the 1860's or 1944 Lincoln Heads?  If this is the best you can do, I want my money back. 💰 🤔

On 8/18/2021 at 7:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

C'mon Mo', no way I'm gonna let you slide on this one. "Great" Orichalcum? How does this differ from those Cu-Ni Indian Head cents from the 1860's or 1944 Lincoln Heads?  If this is the best you can do, I want my money back. 💰 🤔

Hahaha.....I should have known Quintus!! Well, first off orichalcum is a form of brass, so it's definitely different than the 1860's Indian Cents.  There's only negligible nickel in it and the inclusion of the nickel was certainly not deliberate.  The Romans likely didn't even know it was in there if they even knew nickel existed.  As for the brass 1944 Lincoln, that's tougher to define as both are brass.  According to this article https://mmta.co.uk/2015/01/30/the-metal-from-atlantis/#:~:text=The composition of orichalcum is,of nickel%2C lead and iron.  Orichalcum ranged from 75-80% copper and 15-20% zinc with trace metals and, to be fair, I don't believe the Romans knew what zinc specifically was, either.  They likely just knew that if they combined calamine, charcoal and copper in a crucible, they'd get orichalcum.  As for the 1944 Brass Lincolns, the composition was definitely different, with 95% copper and 5% zinc, so a fair bit more copper and less zinc than orichalcum by far.  And the U.S. Mint definitely knew what zinc was and that they were using it to make brass.  From what I've seen, orichalcum seems much more yellow than either coin you mentioned and, this is just my personal opinion, I find the warm yellow of orichalcum much more appealing than either an C/N Indian Cent or a 1944 Brass Lincoln :).  But, of course, I'm very biased here.

I have to watch you....you're going to keep me on my toes! ;) Which, I love, by the way!

Edited by Mohawk

@Mohawk I guess something is lost in the pixelated soup. If you were to present the image to people at random, "golden-colored brass alloy," as used by the Roman Empire, is not likely to be the initial first impression you would get.  (On the other hand, I would be too embarrassed to admit I was totally unfamiliar with the term and had to look it up.) Very informative post! 😅

On 8/18/2021 at 10:05 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk I guess something is lost in the pixelated soup. If you were to present the image to people at random, "golden-colored brass alloy," as used by the Roman Empire, is not likely to be the initial first impression you would get.  (On the other hand, I would be too embarrassed to admit I was totally unfamiliar with the term and had to look it up.) Very informative post! 😅

It may have gotten lost in the pixelated soup, but you gave me a great excuse to talk about what orichalcum actually is....and that makes me exceedingly happy!!! It's one of my favorite coinage alloys.  I'm such a nerd.