• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 Continental Dollar

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I am hoping that someone's expertise can help me out. I have attached photos of a coin that my father has had for years. I've read a lot about this coin and understand that there are many copies. I believe that this coin is pewter. The weight is 17.90 grams. Any idea if this could be the real deal? I apologize in advance if my photo doesn't attach. I am new to the site. Still trying to figure it out.

Thanks! :)

Melissa

Edited by Melissaj22

Given the size of the photos I can't say this with 100% accuracy, but it does not look good. The surfaces appear to the grainy texture of the usual cast counterfeit. Don't feel badly. Most proposed examples of this coin are not good. At any rate you would have to send this to NGC or PCGS to be certified to sell it for a fair amount of money. The raw ones (uncertified) don't cut it because there are so many copies.

I'll defer to the others, but I'm sorry I can't be more positive.

I'm sorry to say that yours is a modern replica.

Aside from the surface and detail issues, the easiest way to authenticate one of these is to look at the edge. A genuine 1776 Continental Dollar of this type has an interlocking leaf pattern on the edge like in this image:

17761Edge_zps70de5c99.jpg

Note this pic is of a Pillar 8 Reales, but the edge device on a Continental $1 is the same.

Edited by CoinRaritiesOnline

i agree a replica

i cant tell for sure without seeing the coin but these were sold at the philly mint gift shop during the bi centennial in 1976 they sold a ton i know i was there looking at the eliasberg coins and also i bought a set of coloinals there continentail dollar, mass one cent etc again all replicas

and one was the continental dollar take a look at the edge you will see both a seam and/or a rough plain edge

if you got an engrailed edge as john shows from www.coinraritiesonline.com then send it to www.pcgs.com for maximum value IF IF IF IT SLABS GENUINE

the weight for a genuine continental dollar

Weight: (17.92 grams) Diameter: 40.6 mm

still looks like a replica to me

good luck

FAQ: The Continental "Dollar"

Concerning the large pewter (or silver) coin often called a Continental dollar. An introduction to that coin is available on our web site at:

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/CC-Dollar.intro.html

These coins are quite rare. Originals are valued at between $30,000 (in poorer condition) to about $175,000 is excellent choice unc. condition. However, many reproductions and replicas have been made over the years for collectors; these reproductions have little or no market value. Some are sold for $1.00 as souvenirs at colonial sites as in Williamsburg, VA. The replicas have exactly the same markings as the originals but they are of a different metal (usually tin or lead) and have a different weight. Several, but not all replicas, are slightly smaller in diameter than the originals.

If you would like to determine if your coin is a rare original you should contact

A company providing a grading service is the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). They will attribute and grade colonial coins. Their services and prices are listed on the web at:

http://pcgs.com/

I should caution you I have 2-3 requests per week from individuals who think they have original "Continental Dollars." Statistically, based on the rarity of original examples and the large quantity of replicas, it is probable your coin may be a copy. Varieties with both the correct spelling (Currency) and the misspellings (Curency and Currencey) have been extensively copied. In either event if you wish to preserve your item, place it in an inert plastic coin holder and keep it out of direct sunlight or excessive heat. Most coin stores will have some coin holders available. One of the better brands is Saflip which is made of Polyethylene Terepthalate available from E and T Kointainer, Box 103, Sidney, OH 45365. A pack of 50 is under $5.00.

On this coin, for prices see the latest edition of R. S, Yeoman, A Guide Book of United States Coins (52st ed. 1999, p. 33) this is often called the Red Book because of the color of the cover: For more detailed discussions see: Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Coins, pp. 110-112; Hodder, Michael. The Continental Currency Coinage of 1776, in The American Numismatic Association Centennial Anthology, Wolfeboro, NH: Bowers and Merana, 1991, pp. 7-18; and Newman, Eric. The 1776 Continental Currency Coinage, in The Coin Collector's Journal, July-August (1952) 1-9.

If you would like to determine if your coin is a rare original you should contact

A company providing a grading service is the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). They will attribute and grade colonial coins. Their services and prices are listed on the web at:

I am confused; Does NGC not grade these coins?

Before you go to the expense of submitting this coin to a grading service, can you provide us with better pics? The chances are very good that it's a replica that wouldn't slab and we'd hate to see you waste your money.

I am confused; Does NGC not grade these coins?

They do, indeed.

Ok.

I just thought it was strange if they did that he would be on the NGC Forum promoting PCGS so heavily. hm

yeah. NGC do grade these.

i was also thinking it was weird he suggested to send it in to PCGS and not mentioning NGC, on their own chat boards

Have a question as well about my coin if anyone could shed some light on it and of its worthy of actually having it graded but been spending some time doing research and k ow it has a grainy finish and actually took pics of the edge where it appears to have had the feathered edge on it at one point but did find a name pr inscription on the edge as well making this I'm pretty sure a fake but wanted to get some options on it but here are the pics would love to hear what everyone thinks let me know acquired it through a estate auction that has been from a guy who hoarded coins and Bills  and actually had a 1847 seated dollar come out of the same collection authentic so idk but please enlighten me thanks again here are the pics

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d54CnPzzmYOdcfdowQFAdhAVQvjAWYlH/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dIkHEmH8eBi0qgX-02ZkV2r7xWexSMvP/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dCjxWs9-y5jQtVnb0zP8EtaZFLry7dpI/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d5VVoCpCwB-Cmn7cZuNKTQe3RxXj4aRM/view?usp=drivesdk

Only one images works and it is rather small.  It looks better than a lot of the fakes but I don't think it is real.

Sorry, the pictured "Continental Dollar" is "not worth a Continental."