• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Physics-fan3.14's Prooflike Photo Contest

109 posts in this topic

So, I have this 1858 half dime. Its a prooflike coin, of course. The problem is, getting good photographs of it is next to impossible. The tiny little bugger has reflective fields, toning, and its beautiful in hand - but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this will be one of the toughest photo contests we've had yet! I've had a couple of people try, and while they are good, they don't *quite* capture the coin. So, I'm opening it up to a photo contest.

Professionals and amateurs alike are invited to enter!

The rules:

1.) To enter, send me a PM with your name, address, and phone number.

2.) PCGS forum members are invited to play, if someone from the NGC boards wants to sponsor them (i.e., vouch for them). Just send me a PM. (if someone wants to let people over there know about this, I don't mind. Just make sure they are aware this is an NGC graded coin they will be touching :devil: )

3.) Entry will be open until Sunday, August 25th. Hopefully this will be enough time to get a good amount of interest.

4.) I will mail the coin to the first person, and then each subsequent entrant will pay shipping and insurance to send it to the next person.

5.) Each entrant will send me a PM when they receive and when they mail the coin to the next person.

6.) Each entrant will have one week to photograph the coin.

7.) Each entrant will edit their photo's as they please, and will send me full size images. I will resize each image to 800x800 for posting.

8.) Once all entrants have submitted their images, the results will be voted upon by the members here. If there are enough entrants, there will be a bracket system to determine the winners. There may be separate winners for obverse and reverse sides.

9.) The winner will receive a small prize for their troubles, in addition to the esteem of their fellow boardmembers.

So, without further ado - here is the coin we will be using. Send me PM's to show your interest, and lets have some friendly competition!

IMG_8819.jpg

IMG_8822.jpg

i think the photos provided look just fine, also check out my new photos i took of the war nickel, the previous ones were stock images, the coin is killer

The only thing worse than a dime is $1 gold. I guess you have to make it challenging.

Joke's on you... this is a half dime. They are even worse!

I have a PL gold dollar as well, but that beauty was easy compared to this bugger.

The only thing worse than a dime is $1 gold. I guess you have to make it challenging.

Joke's on you... this is a half dime. They are even worse!

I have a PL gold dollar as well, but that beauty was easy compared to this bugger.

I love half-dimes. Bring it on! :grin:

9.) The winner will receive a small prize for their troubles, in addition to the esteem of their fellow boardmembers.

Prizes are great. Bragging rights ( I mean "esteem of fellow board members").....PRICELESS! :devil:

I think you nailed the reverse. Is the competition against your pics? Or overall? Either way I'm out. Good luck to all the photo bugs.

i think the photos provided look just fine, also check out my new photos i took of the war nickel, the previous ones were stock images, the coin is killer

I think you nailed the reverse. Is the competition against your pics? Or overall? Either way I'm out. Good luck to all the photo bugs.

My pictures are nowhere near what the coin looks like. They are a dim shadow of what a good photographer could do. There are reflective surfaces and multicolored toning on both sides - and my pictures don't even begin to hint at that. The competition will be between the entrants, my photos are of such abysmal quality that they will not be entered.

Sir messy, I do hope you are playing! Send me a PM if you are interested!

Can I suggest a small change to the rules? I think a final image size of 800x800 will give a better presentation. 800x800 is my standard size for web publishing. Plus, that's the size you showed in first post...Ray

Can I suggest a small change to the rules? I think a final image size of 800x800 will give a better presentation. 800x800 is my standard size for web publishing. Plus, that's the size you showed in first post...Ray

So let it be written. So let it be done.

My suggestion, have everyone vote on their placing of top 4 and have no names attached to the entries.

I agree with this as well. I think it would allow for unbiased opinions based solely on the images provided.

Jason,

I would love to be in the contest but my fall is so overbooked with work I can't. But I look forward to the talented group here producing some fine images to peruse!

Best, HT

Ah, HT, I was really looking forward to seeing what you could do with this one. Bummer. Maybe next time?

And yes, the voting will be a vote for your top (number) of choices, and it will be anonymous. The number of choices you get will be based on the final number of entrants.

My suggestion, have everyone vote on their placing of top 4 and have no names attached to the entries.

I agree with this as well. I think it would allow for unbiased opinions based solely on the images provided.

+1

If I could take images I'd do it, but instead I'll just watch :popcorn:

Just a little update on the contest. robec1347 has finished with the coin. The rest of the participants will be laid out roughly in geographical order, from the west coast back to Charleston. The final list of contestants, in order, will be:

robec1347

mikew148

Buffalo Head

keigwin

rmpsrpms

gelhauscollection

brg5658

messydesk

bsshog40

coindude

deerefan8420

coinman1794

This is a very distinguished group of fantastic photographers. I can't wait to see what images they produce!

Looking forward to the results of each photographer! I hope each will post their photos in this thread!

That would sorta ruin the competition aspect of this contest. When everyone has sent me their photographs, I will start a new thread and post all the pictures (with no names), and everyone can vote on which ones are the best.

Jason,

I would love to be in the contest but my fall is so overbooked with work I can't. But I look forward to the talented group here producing some fine images to peruse!

Best, HT

Come on HT it's just one lil itsy bitsy teeny weenie coin... If I just got my arm twisted into doing this you should too! ;)