• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1974-d Ike Dollar 40% Wrong Planchet? Discovering Cool Mint Errors.

28 posts in this topic

I knew of the super rare 76-d 40% but I guess same error happened in 1974?

Was looking for high value error coins and say this and never heard of it. When was this discovered? More/less rare than 76d or the 77d same error?

Did you have a denomination of coin in mind?

This. An Ike may be more plausible than say a Kennedy Half (the 40% silver pieces were struck with the 1976 date in both 1975 and 1976 I believe).

Sorry-its ike dollars

Doing more research as never heard this error for this yer and guess 1974-d is legitimate error and guess worth some $.

One sold at auction in Jan. 05 for $5520.00.

I handled the two discovery pieces of the 1974-D 40% silver Ikes. Was working at Coin World (I'm pretty sure it was late summer or early fall of 1974) when we got one in from a card dealer in Vegas who had seen it on a table and swapped dollars for it. Less than an hour after looking at that coin I took a call from another dealer in Vegas who had one.

We spoke with the Mint, which was uncharacteristically cooperative on this occasion, and they told us that when the SFAO started striking copper-nickel clad dollars in 1973, all of the planchets rejected as unfit for Proof coinage were placed in barrels, and when they finally had enough barrels to fill up a semi they shipped them to Denver to be struck as circulation dollars. Some 40% planchets got mixed in by error.

TD

Just within the last hour I read your story on that discovery peice.

"Denver Mint 40% Silver Dollars" By TD

I was looking over the Ike Book "The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars" By J.Wexler, B Crawford and K Flynn. 2nd Edition 2007

Looking for some info on the proof errors of 1971-S, 1972-S, and 1973-S.

But it was on page 189 and page 190 has the article on "1976 No S Proof Bicentennial Eisenhower Dollar" By TD.

Good articles!

In the article you had these numbers on the coins:

74-D 40% silver Ikes estimates 30 By Q David Bowers

76-No S Proof (Type 2) Unique

76-D 40% silver reports of 2 peices

77-D 40% silver Ikes est. 15 By Q David Bowers

So 74 is the 'most' common of the group and I have never heard of it.

I guess everybody better start buying up rolls of Ikes spending every weekend going through each coin carefully.

Who knew a little old Ike dollar could be so variable-amazing. I knew of the 76d and knew it was pretty pricey but would not of guess almost a 50k coin.

If 2 known I wonder who owns the other one?

I guess everybody better start buying up rolls of Ikes spending every weekend going through each coin carefully.

These are not that difficult to spot within a roil of CnClad coins but I seriously doubt that any are left to be found.

Kinda like the 1975 No S Dime?

These are not that difficult to spot within a roil of CnClad coins but I seriously doubt that any are left to be found.

Speaking of No S dimes, 19Lyds, is there a No Mintmark Ike dollar proof error that you know of? Thanks,

George

I was looking over the Ike Book "The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars" By J.Wexler, B Crawford and K Flynn. 2nd Edition 2007

............But it was on..............page 190 has the article on "1976 No S Proof Bicentennial Eisenhower Dollar" By TD.

I can't count how many times I've (re)read this story by TD. I always get a kick out of it because I grew up in the DC area, and I shopped at Woodward & Lothrop on a regular basis.

Chris

Speaking of No S dimes, 19Lyds, is there a No Mintmark Ike dollar proof error that you know of? Thanks,

George

Absolutely!

The Type 2 BiCentennial Proof that Wondercoin owns.

Read about it here: http://www.pcgs.com/News/The-Unique-1976-Philadelphia-Eisenhower-Dollar

I guess since it's only an AU it only deserved the "STK" and not the full "STRUCK" designation! lol

Maybe they meant "STUCK" on silver planchet.

Chris

I think I had a brown box proof struck on a clad planchet from 1973 - that error does not have much interest.

The problem with that error is that is only valuable while it is still in the government holder which means there always some question if the composition is what it is supposed to be.