• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Software for NEF - Raw images (Nikon D3100)

29 posts in this topic

I'm currently using a Nikon D3100 for my coin photography. I'm shooting in Raw format but the software I'm using ( Photoscape) doesn't have have as many features as I would like.

I've tried NEF Codec but, from what I'm reading online, it doesn't seem to work well on a 64bit system. I can't get it to work on mine.

Anybody know of a better software option for a Nikon D3100?

Don't buy..... Google "Gimp" and download that open source application that is completely 100% free and can do just about anything a person can do on PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro (if they even make that anymore....That dates me, I use to get that for free too), or any of those high dollar photo app suites.

Just suggesting.

Don't buy..... Google "Gimp" and download that open source application that is completely 100% free and can do just about anything a person can do on PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro (if they even make that anymore....That dates me, I use to get that for free too), or any of those high dollar photo app suites.

Just suggesting.

I just tried "Gimp" and it does not recognize images in NEF - (RAW) format.

It does look like a good program if you're working with smaller file sizes like jpeg.

Buy Photoshop

I guess it's time to step up and learn the new language of Photoshop. I'm sure the layering thing gets easier after you use it a few times. hm

Buy a Canon camera. ;)

Wish I could help you out Mike but I am not a Nikon person.

I've been thinking about upgrading my camera. Sounds like you're happy with your Canon. Did it come with good editing software?

It does look like a good program if you're working with smaller file sizes like jpeg.

Well it does support NEF RAW Image file format from Nikon by using This Simple Plugin.

That GIMP is for way more than jpg gif png..... with it being open source you can find a plugin for just about anything and once you get use to using it it is a very sophisticated application.

btw; Any limitations that you have using that software would be from your computer not having enough RAM, slow HDD seek and access times, or generally older hardware but not the software.

Well it does support NEF RAW Image file format from Nikon by using This Simple Plugin.

That GIMP is for way more than jpg gif png..... with it being open source you can find a plugin for just about anything and once you get use to using it it is a very sophisticated application.

btw; Any limitations that you have using that software would be from your computer not having enough RAM, slow HDD seek and access times, or generally older hardware but not the software.

Thanks Bill - I'll give the plugin a try.

Keep these things in mind though. You need to get the proper distribution for the need. Apparently if you install it as a plugin for version2.6.xx it works fine since the required DLL's are included. But if you are running the most current release 2.7.xx then you may have to download some DLL's and install them prior to the plugin working properly

I also noticed that they have a stand alone version of that plugin with a self installer for windows. With that you can open the NEF and then just transfer it over to GIMP.

You will just have to do a bit of reading there. I actually gave you a link to an older thread and there are newer more relevant threads. Look for those.

Good luck!

Why not just use Nikon ViewNX2 that came with the camera? It has more editing functions than you should need for coin photography. I use it with my D7000 and it works great, plus since it came with your camera it is free. Plus, it's pretty easy to use...Ray

Why not just use Nikon ViewNX2 that came with the camera? It has more editing functions than you should need for coin photography. I use it with my D7000 and it works great, plus since it came with your camera it is free. Plus, it's pretty easy to use...Ray

I had the NX2 installed but I went to photoscape for the cropping. I couldn't find a function to crop in a circle. I found myself using NX2 for editing and then sending pics to photoscape for the cropping. Since photoscape handles RAW images and circle cropping I just started using that. If circle cropping is in there, let me know, I'll reinstall it. I'd rather stay with the Nikon software if it has the features.

I reloaded the View NX2 and I do like it's features more than the photoscape program. It's not a huge deal to send images to another program for cropping. But you would think if photoscape can make it that easy to crop out a circle that Nikon could easily add the feature as well.

Not a huge deal.....just saying (shrug)

Yeah, that's the one thing ViewNX2 could really use to improve functionality. I personally never do circle crops so don't care, but if you're using presentation templates it would make a big difference. I occasionally use LightRoom but it is very picky about operating systems and the latest version doesn't work with XP SP3, and they won't sell me a version that does, and I'm loathe to upgrade to Windows8 as I hate it on my laptop, so I have an unlicensed version I keep using. It does RAW and cropping but I need to keep resetting my calendar each time I use it...now, for those who are sensitive to this, remember what I said...Adobe won't sell me a version that works on my PC, so don't get all huffy...Ray

Keep these things in mind though. You need to get the proper distribution for the need. Apparently if you install it as a plugin for version2.6.xx it works fine since the required DLL's are included. But if you are running the most current release 2.7.xx then you may have to download some DLL's and install them prior to the plugin working properly

I also noticed that they have a stand alone version of that plugin with a self installer for windows. With that you can open the NEF and then just transfer it over to GIMP.

You will just have to do a bit of reading there. I actually gave you a link to an older thread and there are newer more relevant threads. Look for those.

Good luck!

Thanks again for this tip Bill. I think this software might have some possibilities as we start rebuilding our web site. The software appears to be able to do a wide variety of tasks. (thumbs u

but I need to keep resetting my calendar each time I use it...now,

:signfunny:

I just uploaded the trial version of Lightroom. I'm liking it's features too. (although I still don't see a :censored: circle crop feature!)

I'll check it out more tomorrow, my eyes are getting blurry.

I reloaded the View NX2 and I do like it's features more than the photoscape program. It's not a huge deal to send images to another program for cropping. But you would think if photoscape can make it that easy to crop out a circle that Nikon could easily add the feature as well.

I use ViewNX2 for everything that comes out of the camera raw (I have a D3100 as well). Editing functions as well such as cropping. It also converst to jpeg for use online or whatever. It works fine for me....can't you use yours for that? hm

As to using a Canon: screw that...stick with Nikon! :baiting:

jom

I use ViewNX2 for everything that comes out of the camera raw (I have a D3100 as well). Editing functions as well such as cropping. It also converst to jpeg for use online or whatever. It works fine for me....can't you use yours for that? hm

jom

I can use ViewNX2 for all editing except for "circle cropping". It's a great program but that one missing feature means I have to transfer my edited images to another program if I want to make a circular display like this.

041cfaa0-197b-4ed6-b1c4-77753e81621c.jpg

As I said, not a huge deal but it would streamline things a bit if I could do it all in one program.

but I need to keep resetting my calendar each time I use it...now,

:signfunny:

I just uploaded the trial version of Lightroom. I'm liking it's features too. (although I still don't see a :censored: circle crop feature!)

I'll check it out more tomorrow, my eyes are getting blurry.

Well, it doesn't have a circle crop feature, per se. What it has is a circular vignetting feature. You do a square crop, then vignette the image to obscure the background. You can adjust vignette radius, feathering, and degree of lightening or darkening.

When I want to do a true circular crop, I go back to my Windows 95 version of Paint Shop Pro, which still works like a champ, but can't edit full-size image files. Apparently the developers didn't envision having to work with 18MP image files!

jom

I can use ViewNX2 for all editing except for "circle cropping". It's a great program but that one missing feature means I have to transfer my edited images to another program if I want to make a circular display like this.

As I said, not a huge deal but it would streamline things a bit if I could do it all in one program.

Oh...yeah, circle cropping is a pain. You're right....NX2 doesn't have it. I use a VERY old version of Photoshop and it's still a PITA...I HATE doing circle crops because I have to keep trying over and over until it matches the size. I know there must be a way to do it but I haven't figured it out. :pullhair:

jom

Could you post some images with your 3100? I just picked one up (kit 18-55) from a pawnshop 2 weeks ago. I had to buy it for $250, didn't come with the charger and it only had 3899 shutter actuations. It was a pawned item, the owner never came to pick it up, my gain I suppose. I tried to use the 18-55 the images are ok but realize it's NOT the lens for coin photography. I'm currently using ArcSoft Photo Studio5 that came with my Cannon scanner, it allows me to circle crop a coin image 10 years old but it works.

jom

Oh...yeah, circle cropping is a pain. You're right....NX2 doesn't have it. I use a VERY old version of Photoshop and it's still a PITA...I HATE doing circle crops because I have to keep trying over and over until it matches the size. I know there must be a way to do it but I haven't figured it out. :pullhair:

jom

This puts me in a strange position. I'm going to recommend a program that I'm trying to get away from! :ohnoez: The circle crop in Photoscape is so easy that I can't believe it's not in every picture editing software package available.....and its free.You simply click on an edge of a coin image, drag across to the opposite edge this will give you an egg shaped crop. Then you simply pull the crop out to the other two edges.

ViewNX2 has better information available for editing, mainly a good Histogram. So, I do my editing there and then send the finished images to Photoscape for, display type, cropping.

I wonder if Nikon would listen if they heard enough feedback about an easy circle crop feature? It can't be too hard to include it, Photosmart is doing it for FREE.

When I want to do a true circular crop, I go back to my Windows 95 version of Paint Shop Pro, which still works like a champ, but can't edit full-size image files. Apparently the developers didn't envision having to work with 18MP image files!

Another old time PSP user. lol

I used that program from it's very beginning, version 1.0, where it was created by a company called JASC Software. JASC (Just Another Software Company). lol

Then when that application really started to be able to compete with the features that PhotoShop had, at a price that was about $25.00 for a license versus $150.00 on up for a copy of PhotoShop, I was no longer able to download the cracks for the application without downloading a virus right along with the crack so I moved on.

JASC Software eventually evolved from shareware and was sold commercially at $99.00 while PhotoShop was selling at $350.00 + .... yet PSP did all that PhotoShop was doing. Then PSP was bought by Corel and I guess it is still being sold under the name Paint Shop Pro.

Yes I see it is and selling for $89.99 at Newegg.

Could someone send me a picture, maybe zipped, that the Nikon produce in the RAW format so I can see for myself that GIMP does not open it? You can PM me and I will give you my email address.

Buy a Canon camera. ;)

I've been thinking about upgrading my camera. Sounds like you're happy with your Canon. Did it come with good editing software?

I have both Canons and Nikons, and I actually use both ViewNX (Nikon) and DPP(Canon) software, but since I got the Canons I don't use Nikons for coins. I had to pay something like $200 for the Nikon CCP2 software, and it is not as functional or easy to use as the free EOS Utility that comes with Canon. Plus, Canon cameras have EFSC, which eliminates "Shutter Shake", and thus they can be used at higher magnifications with clear results without resorting to delayed flash. I use both Canon XS (10MP) and T2i(18MP) for coins. My Nikon is a D7000, and I love it for all other purposes besides coins because it can mount all my Nikon lenses back to AI, but it only gets use for coins when I need to make the point about EFSC. I've done a few comparisons in the last 18mos to show the differences and can dig some of them up if you want to read them.

Buy a Canon camera. ;)

I have both Canons and Nikons, and I actually use both ViewNX (Nikon) and DPP(Canon) software, but since I got the Canons I don't use Nikons for coins. I had to pay something like $200 for the Nikon CCP2 software, and it is not as functional or easy to use as the free EOS Utility that comes with Canon. Plus, Canon cameras have EFSC, which eliminates "Shutter Shake", and thus they can be used at higher magnifications with clear results without resorting to delayed flash. I use both Canon XS (10MP) and T2i(18MP) for coins. My Nikon is a D7000, and I love it for all other purposes besides coins because it can mount all my Nikon lenses back to AI, but it only gets use for coins when I need to make the point about EFSC. I've done a few comparisons in the last 18mos to show the differences and can dig some of them up if you want to read them.

If you could dig them up I'd be very interested. This numismatic photography is a little different animal and I'm not convinced that general camera reviews can be applied to this "specialty" type of imaging. I'd very much like to see what your findings were BEFORE I make a purchase.

Buy a Canon camera. ;)

If you could dig them up I'd be very interested. This numismatic photography is a little different animal and I'm not convinced that general camera reviews can be applied to this "specialty" type of imaging. I'd very much like to see what your findings were BEFORE I make a purchase.

If your camera is going to be a "mount on copy stand numismatic photography machine" as mine is, then the T2i is about as good as you can get for the money. I went that route about the same time Ray did, and I don't regret it one iota. I use my Canon 50D (a more expensive higher line camera) for all of my other photographic needs. The T2i stays on the copy stand mounted on the bellows and the 75mm Apo-Rodagon-D f/4 lens rarely gets swapped out. :)

As Ray pointed out, the Canon free software for tethering is quite nice. That paired with the EFSC (for true macro shots) make it a better machine (in my opinion) for macro photography, and in particular for numismatic photography.

Buy a Canon camera. ;)

If your camera is going to be a "mount on copy stand numismatic photography machine" as mine is, then the T2i is about as good as you can get for the money. I went that route about the same time Ray did, and I don't regret it one iota. I use my Canon 50D (a more expensive higher line camera) for all of my other photographic needs. The T2i stays on the copy stand mounted on the bellows and the 75mm Apo-Rodagon-D f/4 lens rarely gets swapped out. :)

As Ray pointed out, the Canon free software for tethering is quite nice. That paired with the EFSC (for true macro shots) make it a better machine (in my opinion) for macro photography, and in particular for numismatic photography.

I'm a little surprised to learn that the beautiful images you post are taken with an entry level Canon DSLR!

Question - Is it the T2I in particular that you like or that series of Canon products in general? The reason I ask is, there's a T3I listed in my local Craigslist. Description is "like new - perfect condition" for $375, Body only. I don't need a lens - you know what I'm working with ;)

I'm a little surprised to learn that the beautiful images you post are taken with an entry level Canon DSLR!

Question - Is it the T2I in particular that you like or that series of Canon products in general? The reason I ask is, there's a T3I listed in my local Craigslist. Description is "like new - perfect condition" for $375, Body only. I don't need a lens - you know what I'm working with ;)

The T2i has the same sensor as the much more expensive Canon 7D. In a highly controlled environment like a studio for macro photography, all of the bells and whistles of the 7D aren't really needed in my opinion. I believe the T3i also has the same sensor. The T3i has an LCD display screen on the back that swivels I believe. The T2i has just the regular LCD built in screen.

I am not sure of the gory details, but I went with the T2i at the advice of a few like Ray on another forum. It is a great camera for coin photography.

I think a lot of people have a false perception of what is needed for good numismatic photography. Really expensive DSLRs have bells and whistles geared at the field-photographer. Heightened ISO ranges, built in processing, waterproof and/or metal or composite "rugged" bodies, etc. Also, there is not really much (if there is any at all) benefit of a full-frame camera for numismatic photography when used with a bellows set-up. As I said, my T2i stays mounted on my bellows and copy stand only for numismatic/macro photography. I use my Canon 50D for other needs and I have done a bit of freelance and back-up shooting for a friend with a photography business (weddings, graduation photos, portraits, landscapes, commercial product photography, etc.)

First and foremost, I am a hobby photographer. I do think I am able to provide professional quality numismatic images, and I have imaged coins for a few friends from the forums. What your particular uses / needs are will dictate whether buying a Canon T2i "entry level" DSLR is the right move for you. I know I have no regrets, and I believe images just as good as the "big whigs" with their multi-thousand dollar bodies and macro lenses can be achieved with a $400 DSLR and about $200 in equipment (copy stand, bellows, enlarging lens, few Jansjo IKEA lamps). If you wanna kick that up a notch, you can get a high end duplicating/enlarging lens like the APO-Rodagon-D 75mm f/4 (as I know you already have) -- but even that is around $300 or so. So for around $900 (or even $600) professional quality images are completely obtainable.

Finally, I would contend that of all of the "ingredients" in getting good coin images, the lighting is the real kicker. Ironically, the $9.99 IKEA Jansjos (the least expensive ingredients) fit that need well for me and many others. Don't get me wrong though, if you want to spend a boat load of money on fancy halogens you can find them. I would just rather have $30 worth of lights and $270 of coins instead of $300 of lights that offer a negligible advantage (if any).

Brandon - As always, your insights are very much appreciated.

I have all of the equipment you mentioned, copy stand, bellows, enlarging lens and 3 Jansjo IKEA lamps. I'm very happy that you advised me early on about the APO-Rodagon-D 75mm f/4. I also added an APO Rodagon 105mm to the arsenal a couple of months ago.

The only part of the setup, that I'm uncertain of, is the camera. With the recent discussions about shutter vibration and blurry images, I'm realizing that I'm probably working harder than I should have to, to capture clear images. The D3100 is a great "entry level" camera as well, but it's become clear that this shutter vibration is an issue.

I'm going to purchase this T3I and do my own Nikon D3100 vs Canon T3I comparison.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.