• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC 1966 SMS MS69RD Lincoln Memorial Population of 1 posted by hunter's gold

16 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Thanks # for the awesome coin

Hi Everyone. Today I received in the mail a beautiful new coin for my Lincoln memorial collection from # and I cannot thank David enough for allowing me the chance too buy this awesome coin. NGC 1966 SMS MS69RD Lincoln Memorial with a population of 1 out of over 1100 graded for this year. It is 1 of only 2 for any of the Lincoln Memorial SMS for any year too be graded MS69. I hope everyone has a great weekend. As always, thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

13860.JPG

See more journals by hunter's gold

Absolutely stunning coin my friend. I hope you some day decide to build a proof set around this top pop coin.

A great addition. Keep it going!

Michael

A very nice selection and showing of an actual "MS69" sort a speak. A couple clicks on the front and one on the reverse.

Hunter's Gold,

Thanks for these pics as I notice 2 of 3 main clicks are not in the fields "same as Jason's quarter this week". I may

need to check the ones I pulled from submission and look for clear fields overall. As I am trying my best to learn to grade

MS65 to MS70 these pics and Jason's quarter are great tutorials to let us see what they actually expect for the grade.

It is the new start of my quest to understand each grade and I have learned much over the past year. I hope to become

one of the best in my area for grading high end coins in the future as most others around here can only call it BU.

That Lincoln should have some AWSOME LUSTER!!!

Like to see that one up close!!

GREAT PICS!!!!!!

Later---Rick

Congrats! Nice to be the King I bet...

I often wondered how they can tell if the coin you are sending in is a 66 SMS or a 66 Regular Strike Circulation coin. I have some Business strikes in 65-68 that rival SMS strikes. And if you look at the difference in value between the two it is night and day.

Do they just guess?

Congrats! Nice to be the King I bet...

I often wondered how they can tell if the coin you are sending in is a 66 SMS or a 66 Regular Strike Circulation coin. I have some Business strikes in 65-68 that rival SMS strikes. And if you look at the difference in value between the two it is night and day.

Do they just guess?

No guessing to that one!! Do you have any good trades for the Business strikes?? I need some nice ones. :) HeHe

What ... You mean like these?

DSCN3194_Close_Pennies.jpg

And all these I have already went through

DSCN3205a.jpg

DSCN3203a.jpg

You see those two 67's .... They are business strike. Look pretty good for business strike to me. How would a TPG be able to tell the difference between the two. I would hate to send in a few of these and get 66's or 67's and them be deemed SMS coins. Big difference in pricing there between the two.

Just going through them all one at a time. I have found many 65-68 business strikes that were as good, if not better than the ones over in my SMS sets.

My dad put these up back when I was a baby. Matter of fact... Those are my baby food jars holding those pennies. lol

So that is a business strike and not a SMS?

*** Edit ***

You really don't have to answer that because I can see that it is a SMS. If not then you slid one past them.

What ... You mean like these?

My dad put these up back when I was a baby. Matter of fact... Those are my baby food jars holding those pennies. lol

Too bad your dad didn't have 2X2's to keep them from hitting and rubbing against each other all these years.

Too bad your dad didn't have 2X2's to keep them from hitting and rubbing against each other all these years.

Actually each and every penny was wrapped individually in a small sheet of aluminum foil. I thought they would be trashed out with scratches but surprisingly, as I took each one and meticulously removed the aluminum foil, there was a nice shiny penny that looked like it came from the mint.

But I don't think any of them have a matte finish like that example that is shown above. I only see that finish in my SMS's. He just must have got a hold of a fresh penny from a newly maintained die. Beautiful penny for sure.

I will have some better photo equipment coming in the next few days. I bought a DSLR camera that works fine but will not auto focus. That is the last thing I need for good macro coin photos.... I will then just have to get my lighting situated in a station somehow, maybe the closet, and then I can produce some better example shots of how those pennies came out.

The ones you see in the pile there are excess. I had so many of them already labeled and in those little envelopes that I quit on those. But I don't think I found anything worth much money. No huge finds in there it would seem.

I did come across a 1980 DDO that is in real good shape but that was in a stash of pennies we had here in one of those big water jugs. I am still slowly going through them looking for die errors.