• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1776 Pine Tree Copper Found...?

26 posts in this topic

Hi Forum Members,

Recently I was given permission to metal detect on an old farm dating back to the 1700, maybe even 1600 in Massachusetts.

I found a lot of really nice coins but two coins have stuck out with interest.

The coins are different colors, maybe from being buried for so long and are stamped, 1776, I cannot make out the rest of the lettering on either coin.

I was wondering if anyone can help me?

I have attached pictures of one coin, if you need pictures of the second one, I can post them once I take the pictures.

Thank you for your help!

138502.jpg.b1814c4b1496b3d4357436e33ac6e44f.jpg

138503.jpg.3d90ead1da27993e6bc83264a50f073c.jpg

138531.jpg.f59e89ae62779b2de9b347fcd633bcc5.jpg

I think there is only one authentic 1776 Pine Tree Shilling known so the likelihood of this being genuine is slim. Nonetheless, I think you'd have better luck over in the US Coin Forum with this.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I have done some research on my own with regards to this coin. I did read that only one has been found to date so with this said, nobody can say others do not exist just because someone only found one of these coins somewhere.

Also, this coin is not stamped with the words "copy" on it as I have seen online after posting this on the NGC forum.

So what we are looking at is a coin, no person can say is a replica because only one other coin has been found.

The truth of the matter is, I found one, it was buried almost 12" deep and as you can see from the pictures, it is soiled but not badly.

You know, this coin is the same as the .05 cent piece found inside a car that was in an accident recently that ended up selling for I think over $3 Million due to the fact that no person could say the coin was fake because they did not have enough information on the background of it.

I think this is the same story. The fact that the coin was found in the ground on a farm dating back to the 1700 and possibly the 1600, tells me this coin is the real deal and no person can say anything different.

Since this was posted on this forum, I have seen others online and again, the replicas are stamped, "copy", as I said above, this coin is not stamped, in fact it is worn but in great shape.

I would like to hear other comments on this coin and I do appreciate you taking the time to post a response.

After doing research online after this was posted on this forum, everything is pointing to a real coin that was found and I have it.

The question is, how much could it be worth at auction?

Thank you again for your response. I really appreciate it.

Elizabeth

CEO

Penny Chest,, L.L.C.

That is a crude copy cast in pot metal. Sorry, you did not find a multi-million dollar coin.

Copies before the mid 1970's were not required to be marked - which leaves 200 years of forgeries possible.

Hi,

I had the coin tested yesterday, it is not metal.

So, does anyone else have any comments. We know the coin is not metal, also, a very powerful magnet does not even move the coin so it is not stamped "copy" and it is not made of metal.

Any other thoughts?

For right now, I have the second Pine Tree Coin with no one debunking it yet.

I am open to any other comments.

Thank you

Hi Folks,

I just added a third image, the side view witch shows the coin was not cast.

As you will see, the markings are very authentic.

No person or company could copy a coin with this detail and waste the money to do it thinking they would only sell for a few dollars.

From all indications so far, I have the real coin, I am not sure if the first one is even real nor can anyone say for sure the first coin is real after looking at mine.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

What do you mean its not metal? If it is authentic, it should be copper (which is a metal.)

Copies of these were made by the thousands, both higher quality specimens for collectors and low quality repros to be sold as souveneirs. Based on the crude details, I'd say this was worth about $1, maybe.

Here is a link to pictures of the genuine article. You can see that yours is nothing like this one: http://www.masshist.org/database/593

Hi,

Thank you for posting the link. I see one very big problem with the coin the Historic Society has. It has been stamped.

Look at the pictures, enlarge it to 100%, the coin has been stamped.

When you said the copy of this coin was made out of metal, metal is not copper, copper is a type of metal but it is not metal.

Metal coins, most, would cling to a magnet.

When you look at my coin, and the sides, it looks like what a real coin should look like with the markings around the edges / rim like a quarter, dime, half dollar, etc.

The one shown in the picture from the Historic Society looks like a smashed penny with no rim.

I think I may have the real coin, not the Historic Society.

This is the big problem, just because the historic society has a coin, everyone thinks it is the original, no it is not and in a court room, the judge will ask, prove you have the original and others did not get stamped, the answer, well your honor, we cannot prove others are not around but we are almost 99% sure we have the only one.

The judge will say, you lose.

My coin looks like a coin, not like the picture within the link you posted, a smashed penny.

I do appreciate all the responses but I have yet to see anything that says what I found is a fake and no one can prove it is just because the Historic Society has what they think is the only one around that looks like a smashed large cent.

Any other responses would be appreciated. Thank you folks..

Hi,

Thank you for posting the link. I see one very big problem with the coin the Historic Society has. It has been stamped.

When you said the copy of this coin was made out of metal, metal is not copper, copper is a type of metal but it is not metal.

When you look at my coin, and the sides, it looks like what a real coin should look like with the markings around the edges / rim like a quarter, dime, half dollar, etc.

The one shown in the picture from the Historic Society looks like a smashed penny with no rim.

This is the big problem, just because the historic society has a coin, everyone thinks it is the original, no it is not and in a court room, the judge will ask, prove you have the original and others did not get stamped, the answer, well your honor, we cannot prove others are not around but we are almost 99% sure we have the only one.

My coin looks like a coin, not like the picture within the link you posted, a smashed penny.

I do appreciate all the responses but I have yet to see anything that says what I found is a fake and no one can prove it is just because the Historic Society has what they think is the only one around that looks like a smashed large cent.

:troll:

What do you mean its not metal? If it is authentic, it should be copper (which is a metal.)

Copies of these were made by the thousands, both higher quality specimens for collectors and low quality repros to be sold as souveneirs. Based on the crude details, I'd say this was worth about $1, maybe.

Here is a link to pictures of the genuine article. You can see that yours is nothing like this one: http://www.masshist.org/database/593

Pick your battles, this is not one to fight. Obviously we are dealing with a person who should not get very close to squirrels. (nut)

wheat

Yeah, the first post or two I was trying to help. Now I realize this person is a nutjob, and is now on my ignore list.

You go have fun with yourself and your delusions, pennychest.

Why would you insult a person trying to get answers on the NGC Forum, what it was created for?

You called me a Nutjob because why?

Are you jealous?

The main issue is I have a coin and the Historic Society has a coin, prove which coin is the real deal if only one was found. Prove others are not in the ground like where I found mine. Prove beyond a responsible doubt that my coin is not real and the coin at the Historic Society is.

Until you can prove any of these issues, you have no right insulting someone on the NGC Forum.

I never insulted you or anyone else. I have been very nice to everyone.

Regards

Why would you insult a person trying to get answers on the NGC Forum, what it was created for?

You called me a Nutjob because why?

Are you jealous?

The main issue is I have a coin and the Historic Society has a coin, prove which coin is the real deal if only one was found. Prove others are not in the ground like where I found mine. Prove beyond a responsible doubt that my coin is not real and the coin at the Historic Society is.

Until you can prove any of these issues, you have no right insulting someone on the NGC Forum.

I never insulted you or anyone else. I have been very nice to everyone.

Regards

Because the description fits. You are not here for advise or information. When you asked and we responded you told us in no uncertain terms we were wrong and you were right. If that is the case why did you ask in the first place. You have all the information you need it appears, and there no reason for me or anyone else to respond to your thread. You are the expert that none of us claim to be. We should be sending our questions to you, rather than you to us. You are the second nut job to show up on these threads within the last few weeks and I am beginning to wonder if both of you might be one and the same, since your posts lead to the same end.

wheat

Hi,

Your insults will get you banned from the NGC Boards. I already reported your comments.

As for me asking questions, they are not questions, they are responses back to the posts that have been added in regards to my inquiry.

I Have every right to respond back with my opinion since all that has responded are thoughts but nothing with evidence that what I found 12" deep in the sand on an old farm is fake.

It is people like you that ruin forums with your cocky answers and rude responses.

It is people like you that wake up in the morning without a penny in your pocket.

Go off to another forum and bother them, we do not need you..

This is so Amy's Baking Company. First time I've ever heard that copper isn't a metal, yet that you can tell a metal because a magnet attracts it.

The fact that the coin was found in the ground on a farm dating back to the 1700 and possibly the 1600, tells me this coin is the real deal and no person can say anything different.

Well if no one can say anything different then there is no point in you coming here and asking about it.

Having said that I will be foolish and make a few comments.

MOST metals are not affected by magnets. A few are attracted to magnets, a few are repelled but most metal alloys just ignore magnets.

The genuine piece IS thin and looks like a "smashed penny". Most of your coppers back then were thin. Yours is too thick.

The genuine coin does NOT have a reeded edge. The reeded edge on yours was probably applied to hide a casting seam.

The genuine coin is not perfectly round like yours because it was struck without a collar.

Hi,

Your coin is too round, it has a raised rim, and shows a reeded edge. These technologies were not attempted with open collar minting, as a close collar is needed to force metal into these rim and edge features. The close collar appeared in America around 1831.

It is clearly not a 1776 Pine Tree penny pattern. And, even if this is a new discovery, it does not date to the time period shown on the coin.

Unfortunately, you have a very poorly made fake, which does not resemble, in any way, a product of the 18th Century. I'm sorry to be telling you this, but that is a fact.

I think I found one here testing out my metal detector too. It was not that deep though. And what is even stranger is I live in Georgia!

Pics to come....

No i wouldn't expect it to be out of the question/ I was just finding homor in the thread. That was my outlet. I guess it did not come through the way I intended.

very few coins are metal and stick to magnet

the ones I know stick to magnet are canadian nickel and some other stuff from countries made of stainless steel

how could metal detector make such a find?

you must have an undocumented variety worth lots of money to right person.

I suggest selling on eBay - start with $5 million opening bid - every week lower the opening bid by half if it did not sell

what was on the farm before? was there dirt there? could this be from the aztecs who were scouting new territories or the romans or vikings? or possibly come from the sky like a meteor since it was a foot deep

please keep us informed....

Well now see; that is the way I should have did it. I saw the humor in that post right off the bat!

Your Second Picture is a 1776 Pine tree Cent and Very Rare I have sent a Better Picture for You to Compare They can be as High as $200,000 the first Picture you sent is the other side . Hope this Helps

1776_Massachusetts_Pine_Tree_Cent.png

40834bf68621c4115a16dab1eb7f057e.jpg