• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldp - related to my Anglo-Saxon collection

1 post in this topic

I acquired this denier (aka penny) from Greg Margulies in 1/2012, and am finally posting a picture of it because I just found a way to take steady pics using my iPhone.

Richard I, the Fearless, Duke of Normandy, was born in 933 and was Duke from 942-996. His second wife was to Gunnora (like Richard, also of Viking descent but from a rival family). One of their children was Emma of Normandy (not to be confused with Emma, Richard's first wife). His daughter, Emma, married two kings of England: Aethelred II, the Unready (king of England 978-1013 and 1014-1016), and Cnut the Great of Denmark (who also ruled England from 1016-1035).

From Emma's marriage with Aethelred II, she bore Edward the Confessor (king from 1042-1066). From her marriage to Cnut, she bore Harthacnut (king of England from 1040-1042).

(Harold I, Harefoot, who ruled England from 1035-1040, was son of Cnut from his first marriage.)

Just to complete the story, after Edward the Confessor, we have Harold II. Harold II was not of royal blood. His father was Godwin, the powerful Earl of Wessex whose daughter married King Edward (the Confessor).

William "the Conqueror", Duke of Normandy, was also not of English royal blood. He was the grandson of Richard II of Normandy (son of Richard I and Gunnora).

William felt that he had just as good of a claim on the English throne as Harold II, so he invaded in 1066 (the "Year of the Comet").

And, from William's conquest of England, we have the basis for the first Hundred Years War between Britain and France (because the French King claims overlordship to the Duke of Normandy).

If you're a bit confused by all the relationships, this link may help: Emma of Normandy

And, here is my modest coin to make this about numismatics:

Richard%20I%20Normandy%20Denier.jpg