• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp: an Anglo-Saxon penny (non-portrait Aethelstan)

10 posts in this topic

I saw this piece while I was on vacation, and of all people it was Zohar who convinced me to buy it (admittedly, I didn't need much convincing :) ).

From the dealer's web site:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Æthelstan. 924-939. AR Penny (24mm, 1.46 g, 11h). Circumscription Cross type (BMC v). London mint; Eilafr, moneyer. + ÆÐELSTAN REX TOT BRIT, small cross pattée / + ELLA F MONETA LVND CIVITT, small cross pattée. Blunt, Aethelstan 185 (same dies as illustration); SCBI 1 (Fitzwilliam), 574; BMC –; North 672; SCBC 1093. Near EF, toned, minor die flaws. Well struck on a broad flan. Rare for London mint.

When this coin arrived, it was in a Kointain capsule with the coin wrapped in a tissue inside. Upon unwrapping, I examine the coin and it is better than the image when held in hand. By US standards, it looks like a true slider (AU58 -> AU63/MS63) with nice surfaces, strike, patina and overall eye appeal. I am beside myself with joy.

For those who are familiar with the series, this is not your garden variety Anglo-Saxon hoard penny (not Aethelred II the Unready, Cnut or Edward the Confessor). It is, in fact, a better monarch of the middle Anglo-Saxon period (tougher than an Edward the Elder S-1087).

Anglo-Saxon%20Aethelstan%20S-1093.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Lately I decided that I would cease building sets and just focus on acquiring superb pieces within my areas of collecting interest. But, truth is, I don't think I've ever 100% shaken the fever of building sets.

I'm thinking of putting together a type set of Anglo-Saxon pennies, but many of them are not really affordable (unless it's the one coin purchase of the year for me). So, this is what I have in mind: Alfred the Great (Kings of Wessex) to Harold II (Kings of all England), portrait and non-portrait types, minimum grade of aEF.

I'll also include really nice sceattas, Viking pennies and issues from other kingdoms (e.g., Offa) as they become available.

Thoughts?

EVP

I like it!

I was starting to do research on putting together an Anglo-Saxon set myself as one of my daughters is currently studying the Anglo-Saxons in graduate school at the University of Durham. While she professes she really isn't into coins perhaps a few nice pieces might change her mind (fingers crossed). In any case, I am hoping to pick up a few goodies on an upcoming visit to see her in the UK.

Cyber - that's so cool. The set has plenty of affordable selections relative to how expensive some pieces can get.

Continental sceattas can be quite modest in price, as well as Northumbria stycas. And, of course, there are plenty of hoard coins from Aethelred II,Cnut and Edward the Confessor reigns.

EVP

I wish I had something intelligent or constructive to say besides "WOW". I love the looks and originality of that coin. (thumbs u

-Brandon