• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liberty to return to US coinage?

3 posts in this topic

As a lover of classic coins this news gives me something to cheer about!

I know that a lot of collectors are partial to collecting our currently circulating coins which feature busts of Presidents Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Washington, and Kennedy. However, with the exception of type coins, I am not among them. I have often bemoaned the the passing of what I think were fabulously artistic coins featuring various renditions of Lady Liberty. Now for people like me there is a glimmer of hope in that coins featuring Lady Liberty maybe interspersed with our current coinage starting in 2015. This at least is the recommendation of the CCAC committee which approves all commemorative coin designs along with those of the America the Beautiful Washington Quarters. As always, because I like to collect certain coins, it DOES NOT mean that I am criticizing people who collect other coins. I have often said that diversity in collecting is one of the strengths of our hobby and I always cheer on collectors who collect different coins than I do. However, this new prospect gives me something to cheer about for me! Check this link out for information concerning this new and exciting possibility.

Gary

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=26796&et_mid=614842&rid=2214403

See more journals by gherrmann44

Hi Gary,

Good article, thanks for sharing. I do agree that the current designs have circulated far too long, regardless of the design. I am a bit dissapointed that this is a "co-circulation" plan, ie, for the dime and quarter the Liberty designs would circulate with the existing coinage and then change the Liberty design on a "every other year" basis. The half dollar would make a ten year new Liberty design run along with the existing Kennedy design. IMO, seems like just more coins & politics and not the real change needed. Rich

Hi Gary- I also agree that the Liberty coins were the nicer looking coins. I wonder if there are other collectors like myself who collect the older coins raw and the modern coins certified. I have 82 different date/mint mark seated Liberty dimes and will never come close to completing that set. I went to the Central States show yesterday and could not find any of the tougher dates to help complete my set. I also collect Raw Morgan dollars, but at only 44 I have a long way to go (plus some expensive dates) before I could complete that set. Part of the appeal of moderns is that they can actually be completed without taking out a second mortgage. I guess for some us our coin collecting DNA comes with a hidden obsessive need to complete a set- sooner not later- at least for me anyway. But if I had the choice I would prefer to complete a bust half or liberty dime, quarter or half set. But I can at least have a raw type set now and in the meantime always dream about a completed set in the future! Happy collecting everyone! Dave