• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow-up to the Franklin post

13 posts in this topic

Wow. Even without the side by side, there was something off about that coin. It looks like a completely different die. If you're not concerned with it being counterfeit, you may have a completely new variety.

I'm going to start referring to you as: "Moondoggy, King of Franklins".

Marcus

I agree it does look a little different. Beside the odd shaped forehead and back of the head, look at the word "TRUST". The U and second T. The U has a backwards bar on the top and the T ends with a bar (sorry I cannot remember the term used). Is this instead a variety?

It looks like camera distortion to me. If you notice the coin on the left is oblong or egg shapped. Crummy picture to me , the one on the right is round as it should be.

Gary

Good eye Gary, actually the oblong view is me trying to fit it into the frame, so that is my fault. I went ahead and purchased this coin just in case it may be a new variety. I have also written to one of the foremost experts in Franklin varieties for his opinion. I have consulted with this individual in the past so I know his knowledge and expertise of Franklin varieties etc. is well deserved. When I get the coin I will compare weights to a known "good" one and will also perform the sound test. Will keep everyone here in the Q on this as it develops.

Mike

Gary, I agree with you that it looks a bit oblong, but something about the head and lettering just looks a bit off. Maybe we'll be reading about Moondoggy, King of Franklins in Coin World and Numismatic News in the coming months.... lol

Marcus

I have never seen or heard of a counterfeit Franklin proof. I see nothing odd or unusual about the left coin. Any supposed "differences" you guys are mentioning can all be explained by camera angles and lighting - the coin looks perfectly legit to me.

The only thing I see with the left coin is damage/hairlines in the field which will preclude a grade.

Exactly my point, I haven't heard of a counterfeit either. As to the differences, I can only attest to those once coin is in hand. As stated I will post a photo of it that I take when I receive it along with a description of what I am seeing in good lighting.

Mike

I have never seen or heard of a counterfeit Franklin proof. I see nothing odd or unusual about the left coin. Any supposed "differences" you guys are mentioning can all be explained by camera angles and lighting - the coin looks perfectly legit to me.

Agree 100%. There is nothing off about the coin. I've also never heard of a counterfeit proof Franklin and even if there were, why pick a common date. There are counterfeit business strikes, but they are super poor quality.

Agree 100%. There is nothing off about the coin. I've also never heard of a counterfeit proof Franklin and even if there were, why pick a common date. There are counterfeit business strikes, but they are super poor quality.

Ditto.