• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unbelievable, or Rather Should I Say, BELIEVABLE!

5 posts in this topic

It is not often that I talk about my Christian faith on a coin forum, but in this instance, the two are intricately entwined and inseparable.

Oftentimes the lines between the important and the most important things in life become blurred and the important overtakes the most important. Moreover, that transition can be so subtle that we are often not aware of it.

Every Year in the month of January, my church observes a month of prayer and fasting, and each year I participate in this at some level. This year however, I felt strongly led to fast from buying ANY coins during the month of January because over the past year I had been overextending our family finances to buy coins. A month long abstinence from buying coins would help me to determine how important collecting coins had become in my life. Subsequently, if I found that my priorities were out of order, I could then put coin collecting back into its proper perspective as a distant third to God and family. This also meant that I would have to pass on any coins from my want list that became available during the month of January. Not coincidently, it is on this point that three coin purchases I made on February 3 get very interesting.

In January I needed three coins for my Wilhelmina 10 Gulden set to reach a goal of every coin grading MS-65 or higher. Two MS-64 examples of those coins, the 1925 and 1926, had been in my collection since its inception almost four years ago. Like many of you, I receive e-mails from E-Bay of new items on my want list. However, 99% of the time I find nothing of interest. Nevertheless, on Monday January 28 a new listing with a closing date of February 3 appeared for a MS-65 1925 Wilhelmina. I thought, praise God, if this listing had been posted a week ago I would have had to pass on it. Over the next week there did not seem to be much interest in the coin, probably due to its high opening bid. Then Sunday morning February 3, I woke up to find in my want list a MS-65 1926 Wilhelmina as a BUY IT NOW. I had to pinch myself to see if what was happening to me was true! Four years I have waited to upgrade these two coins and now in one day I could have both! The BIN was a tad high, but after a four-year wait and a lower graded coin to subsidize the purchase, I didnt waste any time in snapping that coin up. Later that day I won the other coin as its only bidder. Now my set of eleven coins has six top POPs and only one MS-64 left to upgrade.

If those two coins were the layers of the cake, this coin is the icing. Not long ago I discovered a Guatemalan one-peso coin that I found attractive and desired for my Inspirational Ladies set. An E-Bay search produced two BINs, an 1895 MS-64 for $400 and 1896 MS-62 for $275. Oftentimes, the Numismaster Price Guide lists the values of world coins only up to MS-60, thus making it difficult to gage fair prices for high-grade word coins. After about a month of watching the listing for the 1896 MS-62 coin recycle, I thought that I would buy that coin after my fast. That was until a true auction 1896/5 MS-63 listing with a closing date of February 3 appeared on my want list. Interestingly, the one thing I could determine from the Numismaster price guide was that the over date was $35 more valuable than the plain date at MS-60. Subsequently, I set up a snip for the coin at $305, which is what I would have paid for the other coin plus $30. At the end of the auction, I won the coin for $155.50 with postage! I now had a coin that was presumably scarcer and had a higher grade for more than $100 less than the other coin. Then I realized that had I not been on the fast, I would have certainly purchased the other coin and missed the blessing. There is then a lesson in this for me to be patient and wait.

In summary, I believe that if I honor God in my commitment to him, he in turn will honor me. More often than not, he will not honor me by allowing me to buy more coins, but he will always be faithful and bless me in other areas of my life. You see, its not about the stuff, but about the relationships, and whether its my spiritual relationship with God or my relationship with my family and friends, my relationships are more valuable to me than all the coins in the world. This truth then is the lesson of the fast.

So until next time happy collecting, and look for a Coin of the Month column on my Guatemalan peso coming soon.

Gary

13031.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

Gary,

Thanks for the shot in the arm this morning. I wake up feeling a little under the weather and down a bit only to find your nuggets of spiritual wisdom to greet me! God is good all the time and All the time God is good! We lose sight of the relationship with Him at times, due to worldly distractions, but if we keep focused on Christ he blesses us every day in so many ways.

Great post and congrats on the new addtions to your Wilhelmenia set!!

Todd

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the post. Indeed, God does bless us when we are faithful. I noted a distinct improvement in my financial condition several years ago after I made two changes in my giving: 1) Give to the Lord sacrificially. This means giving not just from the leftovers, out of abundance, but so that we really are denying ourselves significantly of worldly things. 2) Have a deliberate plan for giving, and stick to it.

In the Church era, we are not obligated to tithe, but are expected to give. So don't be legalistic about it. Like they say, "God loves a cheerful giver." And then you find the other saying is true: "You can't out-give God." I do believe God wants to bless His people in this world, as He did Solomon and others.

All that said, we need to be careful of some traps. Don't be deceived by the prosperity gospel. And be careful not to focus on getting the blessings. Focus on God Himself, knowing Him, doing His will. Then all the rest will fall into place.

Of course, this can be a struggle. We remain sinners faced with many temptations. For myself, I do see some overindulgence in coins. I try to justify it by saying they're going to prove to be good investments. Actively preparing for our future in this life is not a bad thing, but we have to make sure we're investing in the next as well.

Enough for now. God bless...

Alan

Well put journal, and reminds me it says "In God We Trust" on our coins( and currency ). I have put faith in people also. Once I found a fellow in England and one in California. They had the 1997 Platinum proof sets, of 'Impressions of Liberty'. As I collect those, (have 12 sets now all PF70 UC) I simply sent them checks waited for the coins. All the coins arrived. Both happy times and all worked out. Good for you, keep the faith..

Capt. Brian

PS I have had other 'good faith' transactions, and so far so good. BUT, BE CAREFUL.