• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turning Disappointment into Satisfaction

11 posts in this topic

The following is my response to the thread, Last Straw, by SPHanson.

I too was a little disappointed when my Wilhelmina set made of up of the best coins available to me didnt win an award for best world. After all I poured my heart into this set to make it the best I could complete with photos, upgrade history, and great coin descriptions. When I looked at the winning sets to see what I could possibly do to take my set to the next level, I found four of the five sets without full descriptions and pictures! What was common about these sets though was that they were all made up of magnificently rare and valuable coins assembled into great sets that I enjoyed perusing.

I then realized that the judges couldnt pass up those sets. Lets face it a lot of awards go to people with deep pockets, but I go back to my saying that magnificent coins belong in great sets and that makes me glad there are people who have the means to bring rare coins together into sets.

There was nothing then that I could have done to make my set a winning set this year since NGC recently started the world competitive set award a few years back. In other words, they have to work their way through a lot of great sets before they get to mine.

Scott, in my opinion your set is worthy of an award and I can see your point. Mike, your set is testament to the fact that great sets dont have to be the top registry sets. This was evidenced to me when my 20th Century Type set won the best presented award in 2009 while being the 15th ranked set.

Therefore, there is nothing that I will do to change my set in preparation for next year with the exception of a timely update. Furthermore, I will put up my set in light of the 1,981 views it has that it IS a great set made up of magnificent coins.

Gary

See more journals by gherrmann44

Gary- I don't really know anything about world coins to be able to comment on your world sets. I do know that from what I have seen so far on this site, your writing and presentation skills are second to none. This is evident from your 2 journal awards in the last 4 years. Congrats on your award this year and keep up the great work- your time will come on your world sets. I am sure that I speak for many members when I say your contributions to this CS are greatly appreciated! Dave

Thank you Dave for your kind comments. I am especially heartened to know that I have magnificent friends here at Collectors Society that share in a common passion. I look forward to many more satisfying years with my friends here at Collectors Society.

Gary

Well stated Gary and thank you for the kind words Also congrats on another well deserved award for your journal writing. To me you set the standard in that catagory today and in years past.

Mike

Well stated Gary and thank you for the kind words Also congrats on another well deserved award for your journal writing. To me you set the standard in that catagory today and in years past.

Mike

I agree with Mike - Gary has set the bar high for journal writing and this post is no different!

Congrats for another well deserved journal award.

Todd

Thanks, Gary. Those words are much appreciated.

At this moment, I really don't care about the registry competition. I'm used to having hard work recognized and rewarded, and in my opinion, NGC has dropped the ball too many times, not only with the awards, but in their handling of the registry itself.

I feel and responded how I did, and was passionate about it because I cared. NGC killed that.

I'll be quiet now...

Scott

Very well said Gary. I was going to respond HPHansons post but you very elegently expressed my thoughts on this matter. Congradulations on your well deserved second Collectors Journal Award.

Well, I am going to have to look over all these winning sets, as I have quite a few of those coins, but not a lot of one run. Kind of a 'window on the world' as it were. Mostly European. Probably not enough to make a nice competitive set, but I'm learning.

Capt. Brian

The Lost Navigator