• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW ---SMS takes a big hit!! posted by G G's Keepers

14 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roosevelt sets loose 1000s of points

Friends, I noticed a large chunk of points missing this morning. I am not aware if the other SMS coins were adjusted but saw the dimes are where they look to belong now. The points for the SMS Roosevelts were a bit on the high end for such a large populated coin. My set went up to rank #3 for a little while while others plunged below mine.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING

12666.jpg

See more journals by G G's Keepers

I know I'll probably anger some people by posting this, but both clad and silver Roosevelt Dimes are weighed too heavily in the registry if you ask me. None of the other moderns come close even though many of the dates are equally as difficult to find and expensive (even considering strike designations where applicable). I find it hard to believe that coins which can be had for $100 - $200 can be worth thousands of registry points. This certainly isn't true in a lot of the older series (although I am sure someone will find some examples, probably with common date Morgan Dollars) or even other modern series (see e.g., Jefferson Nickels).

You arent going to anger me, in fact, I would be in agreement that they are probably weighed too heavily. I think that an adjustment will be coming. The problem with modern coins is that populations can really explode. When I began the set several years ago, populations were really down and coins were hard to come by. Now that Im rebuilding, they are much easier to find but the points havent been necessarily adjusted accordingly.

You arent going to anger me, in fact, I would be in agreement that they are probably weighed too heavily. I think that an adjustment will be coming. The problem with modern coins is that populations can really explode. When I began the set several years ago, populations were really down and coins were hard to come by. Now that Im rebuilding, they are much easier to find but the points havent been necessarily adjusted accordingly.

I really don't know where parity belongs - other series should come up or some series need to go down. My hunch is that the pressure is on modern coins because the collector base is wider. I haven't requested many score updates, but when I do they always respond and take some action. Hunters Gold has been doing this successfully with Lincoln Cents and getting decent point upgrades. It's like anything else the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Imagine the daunting task of updating all the points on the registry...

Fess up time - I'm the party responsible for the decrease in ths SMS coins - I just couldn't stand seeing the overinflated numbers any longer, so I asked that they review all of the SMS coins, as some were worth thousands while others were worth hunderds in the same grade. I received a thorough response explaining that a computer glitch hyperinflated the 2005 PD - 2008 P coins and hence the very large adjustment down.

Todd

Todd,

That just them makes them on a similar level as the SMS/SF coins for other series in MS69. They still get a bump for the FT. MS69 state quarters are worth 20 points and honestly are priced accordingly. I dont know about other series though.

I really don't know where parity belongs - other series should come up or some series need to go down. My hunch is that the pressure is on modern coins because the collector base is wider. I haven't requested many score updates, but when I do they always respond and take some action. Hunters Gold has been doing this successfully with Lincoln Cents and getting decent point upgrades. It's like anything else the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Imagine the daunting task of updating all the points on the registry...

Fess up time - I'm the party responsible for the decrease in ths SMS coins - I just couldn't stand seeing the overinflated numbers any longer, so I asked that they review all of the SMS coins, as some were worth thousands while others were worth hunderds in the same grade. I received a thorough response explaining that a computer glitch hyperinflated the 2005 PD - 2008 P coins and hence the very large adjustment down.

Todd

I have the pitchforks, who has the torches?

Todd- I dropped 10 spots in the rankings and it's all your fault!!!

lol-actually I did not deserve 2686 points for 2 coins that cost me 5 and 6 dollars each-with shipping! I was stunned when I added them and saw how many points I got. I figured someone would eventually catch it and those points would not last very long.

Now I have to work my way back to my old rank of 542 with real coins! I got 2 spots back so far.

Todd- I dropped 10 spots in the rankings and it's all your fault!!!

lol-actually I did not deserve 2686 points for 2 coins that cost me 5 and 6 dollars each-with shipping! I was stunned when I added them and saw how many points I got. I figured someone would eventually catch it and those points would not last very long.

Now I have to work my way back to my old rank of 542 with real coins! I got 2 spots back so far.

you bring the torches

Probably due. The coins are pretty common even for SMS/Satin Finish in MS69FT. I wouldnt be surprised to see more changes coming too.

Satin Finish "SMS" coins are common in MS69FT. True SMS coins from the 1965-1968 era are very rare in MS69FT.

Probably due. The coins are pretty common even for SMS/Satin Finish in MS69FT. I wouldnt be surprised to see more changes coming too.

Satin Finish "SMS" coins are common in MS69FT. True SMS coins from the 1965-1968 era are very rare in MS69FT.

You are right. I meant from 2005-2009 issues only.