• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flea market Uncs. MS63?

20 posts in this topic

Nice pick ups for the price. The 1899 has an average strike but the hits in the jaw and cheek and the very strong drag in the cheek IMO make the grade MS62 at best. Those are prime focal areas, and that mark is very distracting.

The 1898 is a very strong strike for the year and mint mark. A little dusting of hits on the cheeks doesn't detract that much. Nice clean fields. This coin has a solid claim to MS65 or better.

Carl

Nice pick ups for the price. The 1899 has an average strike but the hits in the jaw and cheek and the very strong drag in the cheek IMO make the grade MS62 at best. Those are prime focal areas, and that mark is very distracting.

The 1898 is a very strong strike for the year and mint mark. A little dusting of hits on the cheeks doesn't detract that much. Nice clean fields. This coin has a solid claim to MS65 or better.

Carl

I'm with you on tne 1899 - the obverse flaws appear to be significant and I don't understand why most other posters think it should grade 63.

I don't think the drag mark on the cheek would show as bad in hand.

I second that Mary. Or could it possibly be removed?

Both look super, I'd go 63 and 65+.

CC

That mark is damage from contact, and certainly couldn't be removed, other than by repair. That would be a waste of time and effort and should/would result in a no grade.

I'm curious as to why you asked about iot being removed.

CC

That mark is damage from contact, and certainly couldn't be removed, other than by repair. That would be a waste of time and effort and should/would result in a no grade.

I thought it was like a rubber scuff mark, not a groove or damage to the coin's surface. Thank you for setting me straight and I apologize for my stupid question.

CC

CC

I thought it was like a rubber scuff mark, not a groove or damage to the coin's surface. Thank you for setting me straight and I apologize for my stupid question.

CC

Based on what you thought you were looking at, your question was anything but stupid. Please don't apologize. Images are often a poor substitute for viewing a coin in hand.

CC

CC

Based on what you thought you were looking at, your question was anything but stupid. Please don't apologize. Images are often a poor substitute for viewing a coin in hand.

Thanks! I am here to learn and I just learned something Mr. Feld! I agree, images can be deceiving....

CC