• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variety Dime Hunting posted by Six Mile Rick

16 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Always on the look out!!

Friends, I am starting to obtain a fairly large amount of the Roosevelt dimes. In my pursuits I check the pics of the dimes looking for doubling in hopes that I will find another variety to add trying to make up a 10 coin submission for NGC to grade. The Roosevelt dimes seem to be full of varieties that are not listed on the slabs and obtaining a handful is easy once you load large close ups in your set and check them. Many clad dimes do not have variety attributes listed as there is no record yet so check all your coins for them and start adding to the population charts.

I am trying to help a friend complete his set to 100%. As you all know TPETERS has had a rough year battling cancer but the radiation and Chemo is no longer an option. It does not matter the grade obtained to complete the final 6 coins needed as anything will do fine. The dates I am hunting for his set are: 1970, 1971, 1974, 1977, 1980P, & 1986D. These dimes will be left to his sons in his will and the set at Rank #3 is a great achievement on Todd's behalf but he may not have the strength to even complete the set these days. If you have a hole filler please let me know.

Here is one of the latest additions to the set; 1965 MS67FT dark toning skin colors that the clads seem to get over time.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING

12193.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

Hello Six Mile,

Tell TPeters that I said hi, too.

You did not mention it in your post but, do you want raw or, only TPG dimes for TPeters?

I have two local -- mom and pop -- coin shops who sell a lot of dimes. I will drive by today to see what they have in regards to raw coins.

Jack, I would be looking for graded TPG PCGS or NGC graded coins for Todd to enter in the next week or two. Honestly, I don't think there is much time to complete the set to 100% in the registry. I could send in raw coins but the doctors minimum time limit does not leave the time it takes for the turn around. They could be very low grade as temporary fillers would work fine. I will pay for any of the 6 coins listed in the journal to complete his set.

Thanks-----Rick

Rick, I don't have any of these but a quick check on ebay found several 1980-p and 1986-d in MS 64 to MS 66 at buy it now prices under $20, and at least one 1970 at a low price. Maybe some of these are options?

CBC, I was going to check the guys in the club first and then surf the bay this weekend. I did a trade with Mavins last week and he gave me 2 other dimes that were needed in Todd's set. The lower grade coins don't cost much and there will be a good memory for all of us when we see Todd's set at 100% for years to come.

Later---Rick

David (mt1missile),

I was not expecting anyone to pull a coin out of a birth year set ----- But since the 1970 MS63 dime in your birth year set is a low grade and you have all of Todd's PF70UC Kennedy halves I am glad to say thanks and I will make it up to you.

That gets me down to 5 more MS dimes before this Sundays E-Bay purchases. 1971, 1974, 1977, 1980P, & 1986D.

The 1986D might be had so that will leave the 1971, 1974, 1977, & the 1980P----- Four holes filled with four to go!!!!

Thanks ---- :)

Rick -

I have the 80-P in NGC 66 that I'll take out of my set and send to Todd tomorrow. I also have the 77-P covered in NGC MS 67 that I'll take out of my set.

Consider them complete and on the way to Todd.

That will leave you with the 71 and 74 left to go.

Todd

Wow!!! This is going faster than I ever imagined. Michael (vumc409) is working on a 1986D MS67 and now Todd (TD Henson) is sending the 1980P and the 1977. That just leaves the 1971 and 1974.

It all proves that the friends you make in this club are irreplaceable!!!

Rick, I forwarded an email to you from the seller on ebay, for the rest of you that are interested, I saw 1 of the dimes on ebay in a group of 7, I contacted the seller, explained the situation, asked if he would break it out for us. I contacted Rick, he said mailman1959 did the same thing. I received a reply from the seller today. He said he lost someone to cancer himself and would send all to us, if it would help get the other missing ones. Still need the 74 though. Thanks mailman1959, great job

ALL THE DIMES ARE ON THEIR WAY----- In less than 24 hours a great thing has happened with a group of collectors showing their respect and kindness towards a fellow collector that is down for the count and needed a little picking up.

Todd will be so pleased next week when the dimes start rolling in.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Rick

I wish I had something to contribute. Todd has given me advice off and on over the past few years, asking nothing in return. God Bless to him and his family. This is great how the community is coming together to help.