• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete NOOB here.

12 posts in this topic

I've just begun the process of inventory on a coin collection I inherited some years ago. They are mostly silver coins with some copper, dating from 1798 (U.S. .01) to present day proof sets. A lot of the older coins were placed in individual paper coin envelopes and many of them have tarnished and/or patina on them. Would it be in my best interest to not attempt to clean/preserve them in any way and taking them to an appraiser as is?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DO NOT CLEAN THEM!!!!

That is one of the biggest mistakes that people who have inherited a collection make. Leave them in their original condition - collectors prize that patina. Take them to a dealer as they are, or maybe a dealer on here will offer their services.

pf3.14 is correct. See, here's the thing. Collectors know how a coin is supposed to look, for its age and level of wear. If you adulterate that look, people will know it and you'll get less money for it.

The only time I have cleaned coins was when they were coated in PVC deterioration slime. They were not high value coins. It was acetone them or roll and deposit them, so I acetoned them. However, I don't make a habit of it. When I see cleaned coins for sale, they are often priced 1-2 grades below their uncleaned condition. So if you clean those, it's like lighting some money on fire.

James there are also a lot of numismatic professionals on this site that might do you a better service as far as evaluation of your collection goes and who will most likely offer you a better deal if you decide to sell. If you would like a list of some, let me know via PM and I will be happy to help you contact those people.

I didnt see a point in starting a new thread since I am a complete NOOB here as well lol

The only thing I have that belonged to my Grandfather is a hat he used to wear and a coin collection that he had. He traveled the world and would collect the coins he would get.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the coins are and what they are worth?

You'll get a better response if you post a new thread and add a little bit about the collection. Sometimes the old threads aren't traveled too much. ;)

Todd

I'd also move it the Numismatic General Forum.