• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try try again posted by stuartt

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just when you think you are getting the hang of this

Not sure how but a coin that my Grandma got straight from the bank in 1928 was graded as being cleaned. Now I understand that it was in circulated condition, but no body cleaned coins then and I know my grand ma didn't clean it and I know I didn't clean it. What is a guy to do. And I still cant get the hand of telling difference between a ms 63/64/65 and it's starting to really irritate me. And lets not even talk about the AU58 coins. So far that is the best reason I've heard for learning one type of coin at a time.

See more journals by stuartt

It was probably cleaned before it got to the bank. I heard that establishments often scrubbed their change so that they would not stain women's gloves, or some such thing. Some places still do it:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Coin-washer-keeps-Westin-St-Francis-change-shiny-2518445.php

Some ritzy hotel in New York used to (maybe still do) wash all their change in a big washing machine and dryer before handing it out to customers. You just never know.

Malcolm

Stuartt,

You might do well to take a hand-full of your type coins to your local dealer. Ask him to check for grades and details. Offer him a little to show you the points to search on your coins and he may just tell you for free. That would give you a better Idea as to what you are looking for.

Rick

Just a thought, but is there a DVD out there that goes into detail on grading? It seems with the technology of today that is a very good possibility and it could have sharp photos of coin details and grading. I have looked at a number of books that supposedly show the grading but for me they were of no help. For me the best education was to buy graded 62, 63 ,64 & 65 coins and study them. Then slowly submit my own raw coins and learn by my mistakes.

Stuartt,

I save myself the aggrevation and expense and buy graded coins. Mostly because my eyes are going bad, but overall I think it saves money in the long run. Not as much satisfaction I'm sure but thats my practice. I try to buy the highest grade I can for a price I'm willing to pay and I feel I would spend alot more trying to find a raw MS67, say for my Kennedy set than buying it outright.

Merlin8*

Great idea's guys problem is that the nearest dealer around me is like an hour away. Got some books and trying to focus on frank's and peace dollars. Gotten to be the goto guy around here by default.