• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The story behind the 1809 960 Reis Patterns of Brazil (seen recently in Stacks)

5 posts in this topic

There is only one regular strike 1809 960 Reis in existence, but there are some patterns struck in lead, copper and silver. The ANA Stacks auction had a very nice example of one of these patterns (Stacks' obverse image seen below), and as Stacks auctions sometimes go, there was zero information on the coin. I've made a new post on blog.960coins.com giving the whole background story behind these. It's really quite a fascinating story with a lot of depth, intrigue and a little adventure, and touches on some important numismatic history. Hope you find it informative and enjoyable.

960 Reis Patterns

If you're interested in 960 Reis or have no idea what is going on with those crazy coins, check out the blog for a lot of background, tips, details and more.

204612_01.jpg

Thanks for the info!

The 960 reis coin was one of the "conversation starter" coins recommended by COINage magazine back in the late 1970s in an article about making a coffee table display case. I bought one just to have one of those coins with an interesting story behind it.

Actually I have a friend in the USA who has 2 kids. I'd like to get a gift for his two kids and I can think of no better one than a pair of cheap (silver) 960 reis. Unfortunately it seems that everybody wants a lot of money for these things these days: even in worn condition. I can't believe they've gotten so expensive: even for common dates.

Well I can't help but saying here since I've been watching this thread but I did just get one of the copper 1809 Pattern 960 reis which was in a Heritage auction.

Bra_960reis_1809_pattern_Her_both_1000.jpg

thank you for the great site and information contained within :applause:

is there any contact information on your site to get in contact with you/send you an e mail??

thanks!!