• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1798 Draped Bust Dollar VF? Cleaned?

21 posts in this topic

001.jpg003.jpg001.jpg005.jpg

I just got this coin through the mail with a 14 day return option. The photo that advertised this had just the right lighting to show the coin at its best. In hand and under magnification two differences became apparent. First, the details don't show nearly as well straight on without angling the coin so the light hits it just right. Second, there are several small scratches angling from upper left to lower right that weren't evident from the photo but are when you see it in person angled slightly different from the photo lighting.

So, does this coin look like it has been cleaned? and if not, woud it qualify for a VF or XF grading?

Cleaned (improperly) for sure. Looks like a Wide Date with VF+ Details and rim damage too.

If I were considering this coin, it would be $1500 tops (and that's retail).

VF Details – harshly cleaned for sure. Value for one of these certified in a details holder is between $1000 - $1250. What did you pay for it??

Thanks to one and all. You confirmed my thinking and the coin is already on its way back. The picture used to sell the coin was a masterpiece that showed all the details just popping out without any indication of the cleaning, scratches, etc. showing.

When you said the photo was a masterpiece I had a feeling it was an EBAY purchase from Great Southern Coin.

GSC is well known for juiced pictures of bad coins. You grossly overpaid for this coin. Do yourself a favor – do not purchase raw coins on EBAY unless you know and trust the seller. I am going to post this for others here to see.

EBAy item :

Here's the eBay auction link. GSC is sometimes referred to as, "Greatest Scam Company". The are notorious for over-grading, problem coins, juiced photos, and every other unsavory sales practice known to human-kind.

eBay Linky Dink

Stick with top tier TPG certified pieces for now.

Here's the eBay auction link. GSC is sometimes referred to as, "Greatest Scam Company". The are notorious for over-grading, problem coins, juiced photos, and every other unsavory sales practice known to human-kind.

eBay Linky Dink

In the few short years I've been on the forum, I can't recall anything positive being said about GSC yet it says on this link that they are a Top rated seller with 100% positive feedback. I've never used ebay but wonder how it's possible for GSC to be rated so high.

eBay Linky Dink

In the few short years I've been on the forum, I can't recall anything positive being said about GSC yet it says on this link that they are a Top rated seller with 100% positive feedback. I've never used ebay but wonder how it's possible for GSC to be rated so high.

Most eBay seller ratings don't reflect expert opinions...

eBay Linky Dink

Many people who buy coins don't take their purchases to experts to get opinions. They don't find out that they have been scammed until the time comes to sell. They see a bright coin with some "meat" (detail) on it and think they are fine. That's how some scam dealers have stayed in business for years.

I will add that getting expert opinions is tough for most people. Most of the time when you take a coin to a dealer cold turkey, who has not sold the piece to you, he will low ball it whether it is nice or not. That's why taking coins to dealers at shows for opinion perspective purchases often ends with fruitless results.

eBay Linky Dink

Many people who buy coins don't take their purchases to experts to get opinions. They don't find out that they have been scammed until the time comes to sell. They see a bright coin with some "meat" (detail) on it and think they are fine. That's how some scam dealers have stayed in business for years.

I will add that getting expert opinions is tough for most people. Most of the time when you take a coin to a dealer cold turkey, who has not sold the piece to you, he will low ball it whether it is nice or not. That's why taking coins to dealers at shows for opinion perspective purchases often ends with fruitless results.

I wholeheartedly agree. You really need to get "in" with a few people who you trust and have established a business record with. Their opinions are the ones you should heed. I've got my ring of guys that know more about certain material than I do, and I'm part of their rings for my respective areas of expertise.

001.jpg003.jpg001.jpg005.jpg

I just got this coin through the mail with a 14 day return option. The photo that advertised this had just the right lighting to show the coin at its best. In hand and under magnification two differences became apparent. First, the details don't show nearly as well straight on without angling the coin so the light hits it just right. Second, there are several small scratches angling from upper left to lower right that weren't evident from the photo but are when you see it in person angled slightly different from the photo lighting.

So, does this coin look like it has been cleaned? and if not, woud it qualify for a VF or XF grading?

I cannot see hard evidence of cleaning damage. The scratches look like album slide marks. The color is off and it is more than likely that a cleaning can be detected in person, though you have not captured it here. It has VF30 details, but it's not attractive, regardless. There rims have a few light bruises, typical of the type and grade.

If you are unable to detect cleaning damage on your own, I would advise against buying raw coins of this caliber.