• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about that Grey Sheet

9 posts in this topic

The last heritage auction has now passed. I bid what I thought were strong bids on eight cents that I wanted, I got one. When I first started buying at auction, several years ago, it seems that occasionally I got a lot or two close to bid or at least "ask". Now my bids are nowhere near the grey sheet and in a lot of cases I am not even in the ball park with the few I am trying to get, and once the "juice" is added I am not even in the same city as the ballpark. Now the announcement that the "juice" is 17.5%. Are the rest of you seeing this trend?

Wheat

Of all the published price guides out there, Grey Sheet is a bit more accurate with their published Bid and Ask prices as they come out monthly as opposed to annually like Red Book, and other annual price guides.

With that said, I agree with AnkurJ that Grey Sheet has it's inaccuracies like the annual guides do; however, it can help you decide how high you want to bid on an auction, by giving you a low and high price for a coin.

I use it for coin show purchases and eBay BIN listings, rather than online auctions, or in person auctions.

I think that the Gray Sheet "bid" for Type II Liberty twenty gold pieces is too high. I bought the MS-63 which I have posted here for almost $2,000 below "bid" including the buyers' fee. From what I can see the coin has often sold for less than "bid" on several occasions Therefore I don't know what that "bid" really represents for that coin. As for the 1857-C gold dollar I bought in EF-45, I basically paid the Gray Sheet AU-50 price.

Many coins are bringing a lot more than the Gray Sheet levels, and I've had to pay over those levels for the really nice coins I've over the past couple of years. In fairness a lot of the coins I've purchased are scarce to rare and unusual. From what I understand the number of transactions that make up the Gray Sheet estimates are based on trades that rarely happened for the tough stuff.

Greysheet is not accurate for many coins. Nothing new. I haven't had a subscription for over 6 months.

I would subscribe if I were you. Sure, you might not be able to buy anything but "widgets" for the prices published, but if you see a dealer wanting double, triple or quadruple "bid" for something that does not "sing, dance and turn your head" it's probably a trap. Even if it does do all of those things, it can still be a trap. The Gray Sheet gives you a base from whcih to work.

Greysheet is not accurate for many coins. Nothing new. I haven't had a subscription for over 6 months.

I would subscribe if I were you. Sure, you might not be able to buy anything but "widgets" for the prices published, but if you see a dealer wanting double, triple or quadruple "bid" for something that does not "sing, dance and turn your head" it's probably a trap. Even if it does do all of those things, it can still be a trap. The Gray Sheet gives you a base from whcih to work.

I do subscribe and have for years, but it is like you said prices for the tough stuff is so far above grey sheet bid that it is unreal.

wheat

I agree that the graysheet is a good base guide and is useful---I keep a current one on hand most of the time.

But it is VERY understated in as far as prices go----especially for the 'GOOD' stuff.

I think that I paid substantially above graysheet ask for almost all of the last 5-10 auctions that I have won.

Sometimes, I look at the gray sheet and I laugh while saying 'if only I could get this stuff for this cheap!!' lol

unless you are buying and selling daily, I would just download a copy every few months - they usually do not change very fast