• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Submission Grades are Back!

15 posts in this topic

21 Coin Salute!!!

Overall very happy, especially with the early clad FT dimes! I'll chronicle a few of these in seperate posts like 1972-D MS 67 FT, 1989-P MS 68 FT and my second 1973 Jefferson in MS 66 5FS this year. Technically, I believe this coin to be superior than the one I submitted a couple of months ago. The quarters were a bit disappointing, all though the 94-P is a tough one in 66 and higher grades. The 1980 dimes are a sore subject with me - I can't seem to get above a 66 with these things... Also a little disappointed with one of the 87-D Roosies - as I thought it had a chance at FT, if it would have been PCGS I'm sure it would have been graded MS 67 FB... NGC is tough on FT dimes!!

001 1968 D 10C MS 67 FT

002 1969 D 10C MS 67

003 1972 D 10C MS 67 FT

004 1973 5C MS 66 5FS

005 1973 D 10C MS 66 FT

006 1974 D 10C MS 66 FT

007 1977 D 10C MS 65 FT

008 1980 D 10C MS 66

009 1980 D 10C MS 66

010 1980 D 10C MS 66

011 1987 D 10C MS 67

012 1987 D 10C MS 67

013 1988 D 10C MS 67 FT

014 1989 P 10C MS 68 FT

015 1992 P 5C MS 66 6FS

016 1994 P 25C MS 66

017 1995 D 10C MS 67

018 1996 D 25C MS 66

019 2000 P 10C MS 67 FT

020 2004 D 10C MS 67 FT PL

021 2004 D 10C MS 68 FT

See more journals by TD Henson

I am glad to see that you are happy with these coins. I guess the debate on NGC and PCGS grading, still continues.

I have been waiting for what seems to be two months (not really) for the offical grading of my first GSA softpack Morgan; 1887 0. As of ten seconds ago...still pending in -- Grading and Quality Control --.

Best of luck in your future submissions.

Jack

Congrats on your latest submissions,from looking at your grades I dont see anything to be disappointed about! Looks to me like you do a very good job at selecting coins for submissions!!

Jason

Todd, Your submission looks like a great menu order for tonight's meal. I'll take one of each with a cold glass of ice tea please.

Every time you show a submission like that I start looking for fresh rolls of coins to search.

Congrats on the grades,

Rick

Todd, when you gonna find some FT 1980 dimes? NGC has only graded one 1980-D and zero 1980-P FT dimes...that year is just a bear!!!

I'd love to see pics of that 2004-D MS67 FT PL....is that yours showing up in the pops already? The only FT PL 2004-D dime graded! (thumbs u

Great submission results!

-Brandon

I am glad to see that you are happy with these coins. I guess the debate on NGC and PCGS grading, still continues.

I have been waiting for what seems to be two months (not really) for the offical grading of my first GSA softpack Morgan; 1887 0. As of ten seconds ago...still pending in -- Grading and Quality Control --.

Best of luck in your future submissions.

Jack

Waiting is the hardest part. Moderns go much quicker, so it's not quite as hard...

Congrats on your latest submissions,from looking at your grades I dont see anything to be disappointed about! Looks to me like you do a very good job at selecting coins for submissions!!

Jason

Jason - Thanks for the praise. Really it's all about volume. I guess over time I've become more accustomed at culling out marginal coins and only keeping the better grades, but there are always surprises. My notes on the 72-D firmly made this coin a 66 FT and in fact it didn't make the last two submissions because of the "lower" grade. NGC showed me!!

Todd, Your submission looks like a great menu order for tonight's meal. I'll take one of each with a cold glass of ice tea please.

Every time you show a submission like that I start looking for fresh rolls of coins to search.

Congrats on the grades,

Rick

Thanks Rick!

Todd, when you gonna find some FT 1980 dimes? NGC has only graded one 1980-D and zero 1980-P FT dimes...that year is just a bear!!!

I'd love to see pics of that 2004-D MS67 FT PL....is that yours showing up in the pops already? The only FT PL 2004-D dime graded! (thumbs u

-Brandon

:pullhair: That's me looking at 1980 dimes... Wouldn't I love to find a decent FT coin...I'll certainly keep trying and maybe, just maybe one day this will be me... :acclaim:

This will be the second MS 67 FT PL in the pops, my grades were just posted today and generally it takes about week to see the updated pops. I'll be happy to share pictures of this dime when it arrives home.

Todd

Good job on the grades. I wish I had an eye for submitting raw coins but have never even come close to what I expected them to be.

Well if it's any consolation I suck at grading Lincoln Cents, when I find a coin that I think is 68 it comes back 66 and then one time when I thought I was sending a 67, the best available coin I had, NGC sends me back the elusive Memorial 68... Go figure.

-Brandon

:pullhair: That's me looking at 1980 dimes... Wouldn't I love to find a decent FT coin...I'll certainly keep trying and maybe, just maybe one day this will be me... :acclaim:

This will be the second MS 67 FT PL in the pops, my grades were just posted today and generally it takes about week to see the updated pops. I'll be happy to share pictures of this dime when it arrives home.

Todd

I'm not a Roosie collector per se, but what is the theory on why the 1980 coins are so poorly struck? Or just the dies are worn out?

Can't wait to see the 2004-D MS67 FT PL -- seems there would barely be room left on the label with that many designations. Imagine an MS67+★ FT PL...now wouldn't that be something. :) Something to shoot for.

-Brandon

Todd

I'm not a Roosie collector per se, but what is the theory on why the 1980 coins are so poorly struck? Or just the dies are worn out?

Can't wait to see the 2004-D MS67 FT PL -- seems there would barely be room left on the label with that many designations. Imagine an MS67+★ FT PL...now wouldn't that be something. :) Something to shoot for.

The question about the 1980 dimes would be an interesting research project. It seems the change from the softer silver dimes to the new clad composition in 1965 caused lots of problems with the design. This is information gathered from personal experience.

1965 - 1980 - Most are poorly struck and especially the Philadelphia coins. Many lack even basic definition on the torch, culminating in one of the worst years - 1980

1981 - 1995 - 1981 completely changed the look of the dime with most being fully struck and lots of FT coins emerging from the mint (my hunch is the process changed, new rules, new equipment, etc...) and then just intermittent problems like the 84-D, 86 PD, 90 PD, 91 PD that were less than stellar.

1996 - 2010 - Again it seems that there was another threshold shift at the mint - cleaner more clearly developed strikes emerged on a more consistent basis. The 1999-2004 mint set coins also now show much in the way of PL surfaces. I'd say 30-40% of these coins show PL tendencies - although most show multitudes of hairlines - hence the reason (I believe) that you don't see many graded examples, as they are just butt ugly.

2011 - 2012 - Once more another threshold shift with mint set coins. Full and deep strikes are the norm and hence the much larger populations of MS 69 and MS 69 FT coins, neither are as rare as everyone makes them out to be, it's just that the sets are too expensive for average people like me to tear down and submit a dime for grading...

I'm intrigued now and may have to research the point a bit further.

Todd