• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attribution of 2011 "no mint mark" Silver Eagle

4 posts in this topic

It seems that there is talk about some of the 2011 no mint mark silver eagles coming from the 25th anniversary sets as being DDO. I currently have several of these coins that have the appropriate markers (most pronounced is the stretched out appearance of the dates ("fat 2" and " 0"). Does NGC have any plans to recognize this difference. It is actually quite apparent even under no magnification.

Jeff

• Administrator

Thanks for the question. We are not planning to recognize any varieties for the 2011 silver eagles from the 25th Anniversary Sets. We believe that the differences are within the tolerance for normal die production and are not significant enough to be recognized as a distinct variety. If we do decide to recognize these we will post the variety information under VarietyPlus on the NGC website.

Hello, this is my first post to this particular board, but I am a member of the collectors society. I know you said you're not attributing varieties, but I have seen an advertisement for a coin that had a variety listed, plus, the cert number shown on the coin is verified by doing a certification number look-up. This coin was recognized as a TDO (Triple DIe). I am trying to understand the difference between the TDO and what the OP was describing, as I have one of these coins myself and I am considering sending it in for a Desig. Rev.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the cert number I've described is: 3555283-415

Thank you in advance for addressing this issue and helping to clear up my confusion.

• Administrator

Thanks for the question. NGC no longer recognizes this Triple Die Obverse variety. We originally felt that this variety was significant enough to merit attribution, but upon further research we decided that the doubling was within the mint's tolerance for normal strikes.