• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882 O Morgan, take a shot.

20 posts in this topic

I bought a three coin set labeled National Monitary Center at an auction last week. Of the three coins I liked the toning on this one best. The coin has not been sent to any TPG but your input would be appreciated.

014-5.jpg

015-5.jpg

I like the overall look at 64, but as jayman said, that mark near the chin could be worse than my screen is letting on. Additionally, the picture is not zoomed in enough for me to make out any other marks on the coin.

The toning does look attractive though.

It's really hard for me to judge color or grade with these pics. Looks like some possible album toning maybe and the small pics make the coin look about MS62-63. (shrug)

The color looks questionable to me - sorry.

This is one of the few times we will disagree. I think the color is legit, but not that great. The coin is MS63 if you ask me. Maybe in hand I would think differently.

OP here,

The shot in sunlight was to illustrate the color as best I could. All 3 coins came in a clamshell type box with silk linings and holes sunken into a mold for the coins to be pressed into. Obverses were toned (fairly similarly) with negligible toning on reverses. The "Certificate of Authentication" was taped ( I s#^& you not) inside the top lid and basically rested on the coins when closed.

I'll probably send this one to NGC for grading and try my luck. I'm guessing MS 63 mainly because the scratch on the cheek is very obvious. I agree the color is a bit too transparent (usually color out of the ordinary is a red flag) but the evidence suggests it's legit.

Thanks all for your input.

I Just bought a set of San Francisco morgans that were loose in a velvet presentation box, and they look almost the same as OP's coin. Three out of the five were heavily toned in the same way and it looked NT to me. Many of the S mint dollars have somewhat reflective fields so the colors sometimes look too bright but I don't think they were artificial.

OP here,

The shot in sunlight was to illustrate the color as best I could. All 3 coins came in a clamshell type box with silk linings and holes sunken into a mold for the coins to be pressed into. Obverses were toned (fairly similarly) with negligible toning on reverses. The "Certificate of Authentication" was taped ( I s#^& you not) inside the top lid and basically rested on the coins when closed.

I'll probably send this one to NGC for grading and try my luck. I'm guessing MS 63 mainly because the scratch on the cheek is very obvious. I agree the color is a bit too transparent (usually color out of the ordinary is a red flag) but the evidence suggests it's legit.

Thanks all for your input.

With all due respect, why would you possibly want to slab this coin? Even if the coin grades MS63 to MS64, its value does not justify the certification fees (unless there is some sentimental or other personal reason). Also, I don't find the coin to be unusually attractive from the photographs (if it is gradeable) to justify the expense. If you are financially motivated, I think this is a mistake.

I am being a bit blunt because you asked for input. Please note that it is not meant to be rude or to denigrate your coin or your collecting habits.

The only reason I'd get it put into an NGC slab would be for resale. It seems selling raw coins as "toners" only generates legitimate bidding interest when people are assured the toning is real and the grade is known.

It may well be I'm trying to sell to the wrong people though.

The only reason I'd get it put into an NGC slab would be for resale. It seems selling raw coins as "toners" only generates legitimate bidding interest when people are assured the toning is real and the grade is known.

It may well be I'm trying to sell to the wrong people though.

Even if it were to grade MS64 (which I think is unlikely), the added value, compared to selling it as is, probably wouldn't make up for grading and postage fees. Do the math.

I bought a three coin set labeled National Monitary Center at an auction last week. Of the three coins I liked the toning on this one best. The coin has not been sent to any TPG but your input would be appreciated.

014-5.jpg

015-5.jpg

At best, 63.

At worse, 61, 62 tops, because of the hits on Liberty.

The color looks questionable to me - sorry.

I agree with Mark as usual lol !

Toning into the head band area is just plain wrong :)

I will have to agree with the above