• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the collectors society. posted by coinsandmedals

17 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I just recently joined the NGC collector's society, and I just wanted to take the time to make an attempt to get know some of the fellow members

Hi all,

I just recently joined the NGC collector's society, and I just wanted to take the time to make an attempt to get know some of the fellow members. I'm currently home from college for the summer and I wanted to continue my research on American coins, and figured that the resources that the society has to offer would take my collecting experience to a new level. I have been collecting since I was about six, so roughly 14 years. My first collecting Mercury dimes, and since then my collection has expanded to other coins, some of which I never really thought that I would ever collect. I remember when I was younger and looked at auction prices for what I thought were "just pennies", thinking "who would pay several thousands of dollars for a penny?", now I find myself trying to explain to others; my mother included that it's not just a penny. I acquired a great collection of coins over the years but sold them recently to help pay for college expenses, and I'm currently working on restoring my collection to the level it was previously. I just recently started a large cent collection and I'm on the hunt for an inexpensive book that would break down by year all of the variations for the large cents, any suggestions? I would really enjoy the opportunity to talk to other large cent collectors, as I'm sure you can imagine it isn't easy finding someone close to my age who actually understands the unique history and craftsmanship behind each coin. I do have one pressing question, how to you reply to posts; I have looked for a reply button but I have had no luck finding it, any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to getting to know all of you better, and I can't wait to become more active in the society!

See more journals by coinsandmedals

Welcome to the CS. I'm sure you will get all the help you are looking for here. You may also try to send a personal message to others that collect the large cents. Just check out who they are.

again welcome

Mike

Welcome! The reply should be on the bottom right options bar.

Im not TOO much older than you, and still have trouble explaining the history to some people so I know how you feel! :)

Welcome fellow coin collector. I started collecting in 2009 and join CS in 2010 and the people on the boards are very helpfull.

Happy Collecting

Ed

best_category2011.gif

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Welcome, I hope you find your experience with your fellow collectors to be enjoyable and enlightening. Check out and peruse the large cent collections of user Electric Peak Collection. I think that he is currently working on half dimes now, however he has written extensively on large cents in many of his posts. Additionally, many of his sets have excellent user descriptions.

I'm currently working on Carson City Morgans, Morgans in general, theme sets, and type sets. If I can be of any service to you or if you have any questions, drop me a line. Once again, welcome and best wishes on restoring your collection!

Gary

Hello and welcome aboard. I know you're going to like all the fine folks that inhabit the Journals and Boards and finding folks with your area of specialization should be a breeze.

I am working on early Commemoratives and Peace Dollars right now. That should occupy me for the next few years.

Later,

Malcolm

Thanks to all who have posted on this journal, it’s good to know that the members of the society are easy going and helpful people. I’m really glad that I joined; now I just wish I would have done it sooner. I also collect U.S Military items as well; mainly badges and medals, but I have been collecting these items for about the same amount of time, and I’m actually in the beginning stages of writing a reference book. If any of you have any questions regarding such items please let me know I should be able to answer them. Once again thank you for your responses and I look forward to becoming a more active member on the chat boards.

Thanks,

Don.

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME, good to see some new blood here at the Registry. I was beginning to think I was one of the youngest collectors on here and I'm almost 30. SUCKS to say that but its the truth.

You should have no problem finding enjoyment perusing pages that interest you. If you have any questions about modern proof coinage give me a shout. But into my left ear as the right one is starting to fail me in my old age! :banana:

Always nice to see new members! Welcome to the group and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for in this forum.

I collect Roosevelt Dimes and am on the verge of working into a classic series or two - Bust Half Dimes are of the greatest interest to me at the moment. Costly coins, but beautiful and quite filled with history. This endeavor will be quite slow due to cost, but should prove to be quite interesting along the way.

Happy collecting!

Todd

Welcome to the boards Don. This is a great group of people, with an immense knowledge of coins. We are happy to have someone with many years of collecting like you join in. I hope to see many more posts by you, and also some images are you start to build your collection!

:hi:

-Brandon

Thank you all for your kind welcome, I have a few coins that I plan to send off this Monday and hopefully will be returned with good grades, but as I’m sure you all know; that is subject to the graders opinion. I have posted a few pictures with the competitive sets I have registered, and I fully intend to add new coins as get them. I have not been able to get a good picture of the 1820 MS66 large cent, the lighting I have just won’t really capture the details and color of the coin. This will take me many tries to get it where I’m satisfied, but with all luck that picture will be up soon. I have to admit Todd; I share your passion for half dimes, it’s just one of those sets that I haven’t had much opportunity to build. Thank You all!

Don.