• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the 2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof Set worth it ?????

15 posts in this topic

The price is way out of line

Starting tomorrow the U.S. Mint will the selling the first Reverse Proof and Regular proof Silver Eagle 2 coin set. The Price is 149.95.

The set has no mintage limit for 1 month then, thats it. No more will be struck. With silver at 29.36 multiplied by 2 that amounts to 58.72 for silver value. The mint is making 91.23 per set it sells. How in the hell the mint complains about losing money on producing the penny and skull drags us with mark-ups like this. I usually buy a lot of coins from the mint, but I will only buy 2 sets. This is insanity !!!!. Let me know what everyone else thinks.

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

I agree a little high. Of course I paid $60 for the regular annual proof. doh! I would like the 2 Coin set but $150 is just a little too rich for me.

I was thinking the price would have been closer to the $135 mark. But I still plan on picking up a set or two. Has anyone heard if there will be any special labeling for these yet?

Sorry, but math does not enter into the equation in this case. The regular vanilla proof eagle is 60 bux (already overpriced). Twice that is 120 bux, which according to the mint's own pricing SHOULD have been the price, and THAT would have been overpriced! So, 150 bux is pure price gouging to the Nth degree. Why? Because they can. Boy am I glad they installed robotics to bring down production costs.

I agree that the sets are overpriced. The 2011 Anniversary five coin set cost $300. but the cost of silver was much higher last year. $125 would be a more reasonable price for the 2012 two coin set. Unforfunately there is nothing that we can do about the pricing. If you want the set you have no choice than pay whatever price the mint sets it will still be cheaper than purchasing a set on the secondary market.

But if you all don't buy them then the big boys will and then they will inflate the market so for the first 3 months they will cost easy $200-250 for just PF69 versions and $300 or more for PF70 and then after all the gotta have it people get theirs then it will come down a little bit. I can almost guarantee the mint's price is the cheapest price.

Popularity is the only thing that makes current year SAE's worth more than they should be it sure isn't for their rarity.

Wells, If I remember right there is no cap on sales so there will be too many sets sold to hold a high value. I do think that silver values were meant to be manipulated much higher than they are but the value of USDollar is so high it only let the silver climb up $2.00 a ounce since the mint loaded it's vaults @ $27 an ounce three weeks ago. I think you will see the silver values jump very high soon, as the USD drops to it's regular standing.

I purchased my 25th Aniv.set last year from CBC and sold the other high dollar eagles in the sets I had to bradyc when I decided I was no longer going to purchase multiple pieces each year with no mint marks for designated mints. This new ploy of the mint and the graders made absolutely no sence to me.

Yes Paul is right----$75 each for a 1oz. bullion piece is ridiculous!! but the $3 wooden box that was made in Korea should make it right. (:

Enjoy Your New Sets-----Rick

Maybe the mint was hoping melt value was going to be much higher when the two coin set price was announced.If melt value was @35 per ounce then throw in the three dollar box,a couple dollars for packing materials,a few more dollars to cover mint expenses,another few for shipping and there you go!PRICE JUSTIFIED!!! :screwy::baiting:

Wait until tommorrow night and you can pre-order the pictured coins on "The Coin Vault". They will be 70's, and you can get their "best value" price of $349.95 per coin, on two pay. They'll wish they could have ordered 1 million, 'cause they would sell every one of them!!!!

Betcha we'll be able to get a slabbed set of 69's for mint issue price by the end of the year. Assuming silver stays below 40. Too many sets will be available.

Malcolm

well the amount of silver in a coin is the smallest part of the cost equation. Tooling and product development costs are much higher. Your average silver proof coin from any global mint will cost $75 - $125..even more...(Royal Mint) I just hope the quality is good...no white spots or anything.

Its crazy that the mint set this sets price so high.but like hundredsof others I will buy a set. if any are available at the end of the month. I also think its nuts that a 2 roll set of the pres. dollar coins cost 71 bucks and they never hit the posted release dates...Happy collecting